8.5J front 9.5J rear alloys on quattro ?

dimitar.tuntov.5

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
So i need help - is it problem with the quattro if you put different wheels on - i rear a few posts but they even confuse me more!
I really like a set of 19'' but they came from Non quattro Audi and they are different width
Is i choose tyres which will be same as dimensions is that will cause me problems ?
Is there anyone here which driving different wide wheels on his quattro ?
Anything will be help
Thanks in advance

Its allways prefable to have the same width rims on any car but you can have larger rears , but on a 4wd car you must keep the rolling ratio of all the wheels the same otherwise you will have issues with damage possible to the drive system and diffs etc, so if you are going wider on the backs the tyre sidewall aspect ratio will be different as the apsect ratio of the tyre is a percentage of the tyre width, so a wider tyre will be taller on the same diameter rim than the fronts.
as long as you dont have issues with the rims offset , which if running wider you may need to address, just make sure what ever tyre combo you go with , all 4 are matched or as close as possible to the same rolling ratio.

its important to remember that most a4 quattro's would have had an 18" x 8J rim as the biggest from the factory, if your looking to put a 19" x 9.5J on the rear thats a lot wider than a 18 x 8j so you may have to be very carefull with certain offset that you dont have tyre/rim contact with the bodywork etc or suspension/brake parts or possibly both, even though you'll be going down a bit on the sidewall hight you still need to check very carefully that they will fit without issues.
there are plenty of websites that will give you the correct sizes to keep things all all within spec.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olympus593
unless you are into tyre stretching i think you'll be needing a 245 as a min on the backs on a 9.5j rim ,maybe even a 255 but then thats too wide chap on a a4 , a 235 is a big old tyre on anything less than supercar spec going even wider and the cars going to tramline even more , why do you want to go so wide chap.
last time i looked at getting 19" combo fitting was with 225/40/19 fronts and the backs 235/35/19 .
i think you need to do some more groundwork on the best size combo's to be honest for what you are trying to do.
why not go with an 8j front and 8.5j on the rear both in 19" dia format, a lot easier to work with and probably a lot less issues too.

As i just like them wheels i was thinking that os not that hard and bad - but after your answer may be i will look for other set of 19" as these combo wheels are not for me !
Really thanks for your answer!

I've just put 8.5 + 9.5 on my B7. Tyres of F225 35 19 + R255 30 19 give almost identical rolling radius. www.willtheyfit.com is a great site for checking radius calculations and working out all out. You do have to be careful with offset though. My initial reaction is no way ET45 are going to fit - they'll foul on the inside. I'm running ET32 F + ET35 R.... The rear are on full camber and tuck nicely.... If you didn't want to run camber you'd need ET 37/38 rear... No more.

Hope that helps

Nope, not with that offset - there's even a bit of tyre stretch on them on the rims (not quite as much as there is on the fronts, but they match up close enough)- with the offset I'm running though they tuck up inside the arches...

ok , still a bit wide for me though, if your 255 rear is stretched on a 9.5j what size tyre would it need for normal fitment then, 275 or similar..

As an aside....255 are the same as the b7 rs4 ran on... But they had ET29... So I'm effectively running 6mm more 'in board' with the offset to keep the rims tucked in the serves as they're not widened like the rs4.

Handling is awesome! No tram lining... Grips like s**t to a blanket!... Just need to do an 034 sway bar next to keep it flat!

ok , still a bit wide for me though, if your 255 rear is stretched on a 9.5j what size tyre would it need for normal fitment then, 275 or similar..

Yeah, I'd say 265 would still have a bit of shape/275 would be pretty straight in line with the rim.

RS4 ran a 9 inch with 255.

to expand on that,
In the UK and Japan, the standard wheels are 19 inch alloy wheels (9Jx19" ET29 "7-arm double spoke") with 255/35 ZR19 96Y XL (eXtraLoad) high performance tyres.[6] This 19" wheel and tyre package was an option for the North American,[6] and some European markets. Factory supplied tyres included Continental SportContact 3, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, or Pirelli P-Zero Rosso — although many owners have questioned the load-carrying abilities of the Pirellis (from unexplained sidewall failures and dubious dynamic stability), opting for the more durable Michelins at replacement time. A no-cost option of 18 inch alloy wheels (8½Jx18" ET24 "5-spoke design"[5][6]) with 255/40 ZR18 Y XL tyres[5] was also available, and these are standard in North American markets.[6] A winter wheel and tire package was also available as an option, and included 245/40 R18 96VDunlop SP WinterSport 3D tyres.

Cool, that's good info.... Particularly the tyres. I'm running on Bridgestone S001's - they've got great grip... No idea on longevity as not had them on long enough yet!....... Still, the full set up will be coming off again soon enough to be replaced with the 18" winter rims + tyres!

SimplyNO! :-D

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5
I just change my mind ! I will not play with the devil - i will take another set which i like and will choose one of them ... Later on coilovers or H&R springs ...

Reactions: Charlie Farley
sometimes you just need to stick with what you know works....

55621dbe3927831212d51c221d8149ff.jpg

This is what i like - 8.5J Et29 again

nice rims but with that offset yours fronts are still going to look to far out , rears ok , but 15 -16 mm on the front is a bit much , but your choice.
is this 18 or 19" inch.

7cda5ce6ec4240947039c3b130436127.jpg

This is the protector of F1 ... Instead of that the Kumho's were streached a bit ;) that is why these tyres aren't the best one but when spend £££ can't get of rid them as i work for my money ;)

Can i ask chap, why the ET 29 again, why not something inbetween that and stock offset, i know it personal choice but maybe 10mm on the front would be better, i think it would look a lot better, less bulky if you get my drift, i think the front end perspective of the b7 should be sutle and profiled and not bulky and box like, anyway all down to personal choice chap and i'm sure whatever way you go it will be great.

I'm lot sticked to et29 but i can't like wheels woth Et35 for ex.
Is just now when i bought the tyres i don't wanna sell them so i wanna use them !
The wheels - i like how they sit on the car ;) so another wheels with similar offset will be Ok as well !
I saw a realy nice wheels with Et60 ... They sit on the car **** ... So it does't matter the wheel but the offset YES !

Sorry.... Missed the ask for a photo earlier on in the thread until I re-read it.....Managed to get some pics today.... apologies it's filthy! This is 8.5f et32 on 225 & 9.5r et35 on 255
7604f5b8fd009b1eda27693d09e8fab7.jpg
3841c83780587c3d71a19c3ed6a6d222.jpg

Reactions: Jimmy TDI and Charlie Farley
not much room to spare in those arches chap, nice though.