Ideas on refurbishing mirror polished/chrome alloy lips

slizza786

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi All,

My alloys over time have deteriorated in terms of shine. They were originally mirror polished without lacquer and now the shine has gone with cloudy patches all over the lip. I've tried mothers and autosol polish but doesnt make much difference. A wheel restoration company quoted me £140 per wheel which I'm not prepared to spend on. is there anything I can do myself to restore the shine?

I've attached an image of the current state.

Attachments

• 20151012_111017.jpg
    20151012_111017.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 174
The oxidation on my rims are really tough, I'm thinking something more than polishing is needed

The oxidation on my rims are really tough, I'm thinking something more than polishing is needed

What about some cutting compound like they use at body shops and then the autosol to polish up the shine after?

Any cutting compound comes to mind?

Farcela G3 is what lots of people use. Comes in yellow tube or tin depending on how much you want.

Along with a cutting pad as well :)

Just thinking you could cut the oxidation away, polish the lip and then laquer it if you wanted to.

Reactions: slizza786
A bit of 2000 grit wet and dry sandpaper to get rid if the stubborn bits, the autosol the hell out of it (orbital polisher)
Iv got some 2k grit at home so maybe worth a try to do that first on a small patch. What's an orbital polisher? Iv got a cone polishing sponge attachment for a drill.

Just like a mini car polisher, saves getting rsi from doing it by hand, the sponge on a drill should work, just be careful not to slip and scratch the rim again. Wet Brillo pads are also really good for getting out oxidised bits before re polishing them

Just like a mini car polisher, saves getting rsi from doing it by hand, the sponge on a drill should work, just be careful not to slip and scratch the rim again. Wet Brillo pads are also really good for getting out oxidised bits before re polishing them
Won't Brillo pads leave deep scratches?

It will leave scratches, they'll be far easier to remove than oxidisation, go over them with higher and higher grade wet and dry to get a mirror finish

No problem and good luck, it'll take absolutely ages, another tip.... If it's the wheels in your profile, stick masking tape over the spokes to prevent scratching them

Update: so tested an area of the lip by wet sanding 800, 1200, 2000, 2500, and 3000 grit respectively. Then applied some cutting paste with a final buff of mothers polish. The results looked like this:

Uploadfromtaptalk1445171550247

They turned out shiny and better than the current condition but they won't look as good chrome, but more like a shiny satin look. So looks like I'll have to get them done professionally.

If your gonna keep on top of them (quick going over with autosol once a week) then it doesn't really make much difference when you do it, the autosol leaves a waxy layer to protect the metal

If your gonna keep on top of them (quick going over with autosol once a week) then it doesn't really make much difference when you do it, the autosol leaves a waxy layer to protect the metal
What about a sealant like poorboys?

Honestly no ideas on sealants. I did it to my bike which I rode every day in every weather for a year, I just gave it a tickle every week or so

can be done ... just takes time .... I polished these cranks by hand and dremel.

before...

During ...

After... not perfect but a dam sight better ...

This is what I love to see! After being told by two guys who I saw at halfords this morning saying they need to be done professionally I wasted the whole day. Next weekend I'll be taking the wheels off to do a proper job. Only issue will be doing it around the bolts

Try doing a full bike. Right ball ache, cranks looked a damn site better after the clean up

Just started one mate ... 1995 orange P7 in nickel plate ... she aint pretty ... at the moment :sadlike:

If they're actual split rims, just remove the centres, might be a pain but it'll save a lot of time and headache trying to get it clean around the bolts without damaging the centres

I'll give it a try but can't garauntee a mirror shine around the bolts. As long as I can get it for the lip I'll be happy