A3 ASZ 1.9TDI Possible overboost? Engine shudder?

Renster15

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Have had this Audi A3 for around 6 months now and it is driving me nuts.

It's an '02 Audi A3 1.9 TDI ASZ, with 180k on the clock, the turbo has been recond.

Around a month after buying the car there was noticeable hesitation when accelerating, very minor but still there. The car would have a very slight judder\knock to it when idling, found the std airbox had a massive crack in it so that was replaced with an old (clean) pipercross I had handy. Issue disappeared.

The past of the car was a mystery so it was serviced (by myself) despite being told it had been done a couple months before purchase.

Recently the power of the car has been very poor, it has gone into limp mode several times. It has a lot of hesitation and almost a misfire type judder when trying to accelerate in 4th, 5th and 6th, happens rarely in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. There is a very large amount of black smoke when accelerating.

For example, casual driving at 20 - 50 mph with smooth acceleration is reasonably smooth, every once in a while there's a slight shake but nothing close to when motorway driving at 60 - 70 in high gears or hard acceleration as it is almost a constant judder\shake and then every so often limp mode kicks in.

I've cleaned the MAF and checked the N75 and they both appear fine, checked all fuses, checked fuel lines & injectors, disconnected and reconnected every sensor, solenoid etc I could to ensure it wasnt a loose connection, checked most of the intake piping (haven't had time recently to get under it and have a good dig), tightened every hose clamp I could, check the turbo actuator and it moves and feels fine!

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Willing to try just about anything at the moment!!

Cheers!

Hi mate, having just picked up a 02 Tdi 2 days ago, I've been reading a lot, perhaps try the decoke with Mr muscle or revive, mines flying at the moment got 158k on mine, I've just bought revive and a egr blanking plate.

That's on the To-do list mate, been avoiding the turbo as its a recon'd unit, so its lower on the list that could be causing it, but may well be the veins sticking. Going up on the ramp shortly so will get it cleaned then.

Trying to find a silicone hose kit for it to eliminate all pipework at fault but having no luck. Have pieced one together from various places but would rather just get an engine specific kit.

Cheers

i had similar problem on my A6 2002, initially tought is was teh clutch so got that done ( expensives buy needed doing anyway!!0 still didnt fix the shudder. Left it to my mechanic and after a lot of research and suggestions to him from me, the following seems to have been the solution,

1.fit new fuel filter
2.Clean fuel pressure sensor ( no idea where it is so dont ask..;-)) which had a covering of oil, i am told interfered with the rate of fuel input especially under hard accelloration, which lets face it you want when overtaking etc!!
anyway she is flying now, and hopefully willbe upgrading to a 2008 in next week or so, so i can sell now safe in the knowledge that it is not a lemon!!!

hope his helps

Did you check if intake is clean cause egr likes to gag it up real good.

I also had the juddering and hesitation part when air filter was fitted poorly and air leaked in from the airbox.

Cracks in airbox = damaged maf
By the way - you cleaned the MAF, did you check with vcds if it's actually reading above 800 mg/str? Because when i cleaned it with some maf cleaner i made the readings worse and had to buy new Bosch unit.

What fault codes are being seen on the ECU, If it's going into limp mode there will be an underboost / overboost fault code. If you are seeing black smoke then that's excessive fuel or not enough air. If you have a hole in a boost hose or split in the intercooler this would give you the symptoms you are seeing.
There isn't a fuel pressure sensor on a PD, they have a fuel temperature sensor.