AGU Gearbox

A3-Lee

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all I have a Audi A3 1.8t agu 1999 that's in need of a gearbox I know it's a 02J 5 speed but will any 02J box fit and be a straight forward replacement? All advice appreciated as need this sorted Asap

Thanks

Lee

You can fit any 5 speed box, even a diesel box, if you wanted (they're stronger and obviously taller ratios). The only thing you might have to do is swap the shifter tower over, depending on what style shifter cables you have.

It would also be an ideal time to fit a G60 flywheel/clutch if you haven't done so already, because DMFs are the work of Satan.

Already have solid flywheel mate hmmmmm diesel stronger you say this is interesting

You will have to swap out shifter tower and drive shaft cups if using a later gearbox, it's all interchangeable though...

From my research all 02J boxes from 1.8t cars have the same ratios (even if not the same ratio codes). . . 02J from 1.8 or 2.0 non turbo has much shorter ratios and obviously diesel much longer. 1.8t ratios are long enough as they are if you ask me, specially once you have a turbo that is capable of producing power past 7k!

Think I will just stick with a 1.8t box then no issue swapping things as I'm a mechanic but want straight forward for once lol

Don't fit a 5 speed tdi box whatever you do. They're ****** awful. 5 speed ratios are long as it is.

You'll need 100mm flanges for yours, which will alongside the earlier 02a style shift tower.mas said above ideal time to change to the later style shift tower.

Don't fit a 5 speed tdi box whatever you do. They're ****** awful. 5 speed ratios are long as it is.

You'll need 100mm flanges for yours, which will alongside the earlier 02a style shift tower.mas said above ideal time to change to the later style shift tower.

As you've said your self before Prawn, the 5 speed suits the K03 well seeing as it struggles for blow past 5k... Personally I think a K03/s running a close ratio 02M would be horrid to drive, be changing gear constantly!

But for K04 (or k300) 02M is the way forward, I just wish I realised that before spending ££££'s putting a LSD in my 02J!

My brother in law ran a mk3 deisel box in his k04 mk2, the ratios are ideal for what he does (drag racing) and the boxes last a little bit longer.

The car now has a massive HX35 on it though, so we'll see what's what this weekend when he does his first runs at the pod with the new monster turbo.

Anyway, bit off topic, but i just thought id mention that you CAN run diesel boxes, not that you should :)

I have an 02M box on my K03 car, but it wont be staying k03 for long :)

Mine already has the later style 02J not 02A I believe @Prawn ball joint fittings at gearbox end?

Yeah balljoint ends are later style, the early ones are rubbish :)

Reactions: Prawn and A3-Lee
Hi I am also looking at replacing the gearbox on my 1.8t AGU engine, the car is an S Reg, how do I know what gearbox is already fitted and what one will replace existing? Is there any other mods I can do whilst gearbox is out? Thanks

Hi I am also looking at replacing the gearbox on my 1.8t AGU engine, the car is an S Reg, how do I know what gearbox is already fitted and what one will replace existing? Is there any other mods I can do whilst gearbox is out? Thanks

If it's an AGU it will be an 02J with older style shifter tower and drive shaft cups... Main mod worth considering while apart is SMF and vr6 clutch, the chances are your DMF won't be in great shape anyway!

97a98a2bc97b73077f413433c247aa25.jpg

Reactions: Nilz