Insurance and "factory "modifictions"

musicegbdf

Reaction score
I know there has already been some discussions about this , and really must affect nearly all of us. Who hasn't got any factory fitted options. In their terms even paint is "modification" Seems anything that is paid for is included.

Mad I know . I have been asking the main ones and getting the same answer.

Could we perhaps identify the "good " insurance companies who accept normal options without classifying them as a Mod and then perhaps create a list as a sticky !

So Far Privelege and Churchill (Think they are the same company ) Failed ...

Will add more if I find them

Liverpool Victoria (LV) - no need to declare factory fitted options
Elephant/Admiral - have to declare factory fitted options

Admiral - I didn't need to declare options.

A little bit of extra work doesn't bother me, especially if it reduces the premium without affecting the cover.

I once read a forum thread about an R32 owner who had Admiral insurance and they had a repairer fit halogen headlamps to his car, even though xenons are standard fit. They classed xenons as an option and so refused to pay for them!

I mentioned winter tyres/alloys and was surprised by the answer. "Do you fit 4?" I replied yes. I asked what happens if I only fit 2? "We do not provide cover for 2 winter tyres."

I have taken great pleasure in relaying that conversation to several friends that insist they only need 2 winter tyres. If they crash with 2 winter tyres fitted they are probably not insured.

Yes it does, but for other non S3 cars I suppose you can take out LV insurance
Thought it did, I recall doing a quote online and it coming up with the message. Shame as the cover/service always gets top marks on review sites.

Admiral - I didn't need to declare options.

Admiral

Reactions: JohnM100 and S32B
Aviva do not need to know about option extras

I would double check that if I were you, it states on their website specifically that you do when you go through the quote.

All factory items are covered. Declared my APR map. Or so I was told anyway. I did specifically ask this as my car has around £8k of extras.

Last edited:
I always used to hate renewal time as most insurance companies dont have the capacity to properly quote for multiple mods online, LV do however and I've found them to be competitive in that respect.
As for factory options, that's a joke having to declare them with some companies. The average Joe, won't know or even care what is standard and what's optional. Sounds like a cop out to me!

Yes that is what makes me angry and they do not make ut clear.
I used the chat service with Churchill twice within ten mins . One said no need to declare as if factory fiitted. The next one said I would have to phone the help line as they were not covered!
Great service Told them I would not take out business with them.
I have had LV before , bit there assistance on a tracker means I won't go with them. Trackers seem pointless when you buy a tracker blocker cheaply on ebay !

Strange, when I tried it requested a tracker before giving a price!

I understand it is cars valued over £30k , not by model.
Nimbus is yours under £30k?

Admiral are an odd company. I've heard that they also insist you declare if you've attended a speed awareness course, despite this not actually being a conviction. One of the few companies that do this.

In answer to the question above about trackers, cost varies depending on what you go for. Take a look at www.trackerfit.co.uk - if you go for a tracker, you should get a CAT6 or a CAT5 (top of the range with driver tags).

Sainsburys insurance all extras declared didn't add anything to the price , mag ride , led lights etc 8k worth of extras . £474 for a 25 year old with 4 years no claims

Reactions: G-S3
Thks Allyw.
Good to know , though sounds like you had to declare them...

Apart from the extra apostrophe (pretty bad for a big company... though not surprising), that is very ambiguous. You could read it as meaning that optional extras are included as part of the factory specification, and so don't count as modifications.

I guess it's one of those things where if you read it the other way, they will use it against you if you ever need to claim.

I asked Admiral specifically when I took my insurance out and was told that all factory fitted optional extras are covered. Might have to give them a call back!

Reactions: batch
I asked Admiral specifically when I took my insurance out and was told that all factory fitted optional extras are covered. Might have to give them a call back!

Ditto i cross questioned at time of quote. I was also specifically advised by Admiral that all factory optional extras were not classed as "modifications" back in 2014.

Maybe this is something new?

Will deff look out for this small print in future, so thx for heads up. Like most people when asked about modifications you would assume "aftermarket" not extras orded from the factory.

This is well worth tripple checking with your own insurer for.

Interesting thread.

I only took my insurance out about 5 weeks ago, so cant believe its changed in that time.

Just called Admiral, all factory fit options are covered! Lady on phone took a list of optional extras and add to my file anyway.

Fewwwwwww! Panic over.

Just called Admiral, all factory fit options are covered! Lady on phone took a list of optional extras and add to my file anyway.

Fewwwwwww! Panic over.

I will do exactly the same to be safe. Good to know.

For most non petrol head people modification / extras would always be different alloys / spoilers / body kits / music systems as well as engine / exhaust mods away from the manufacturers offer etc etc.

You have got to love the small print on some of these insurance quotes. I cant imagine people would know what half the options were, especially if its a 2nd hand / used example.

Anyway its deff something worth clarifing with each insurer.

Many thx

The guy I spoke to on the phone just added them to the policy all the main ones , mag ride , led lights , super sport seats for no extra premium they just have to know about them . Parking sensors , privacy glass etc he said didn't have to be declaired, also at Aviva out don't have to declare factory extras

Saga confirm all factory fitted options are included . Modifications are only after market....
So good for us oldies. They also give new for old up to two years as long as not over 12k.

I've just taken out my insurance with Adrian Flux. They have been very competitive for my stage 1 APR and lowered S3, £445 for the the year with lots of 'extras' such as legal cover, protected NCB etc.....

Worth a call!

Male, 40 something, no points or outstanding claims, parked off road etc.....