broken plastic breather pipe

sakib

Reaction score
Hi all just noticed this plastic pipe is broken no wonder i was seeing smoke from engine bay its coming from the hockey puck i was just wondering if i did a catch can install would i be getting rid of this pipe anyway? So it doesnt really matter??? Please let me know so then i know to order the part or not thanks

Attachments

• 2015-09-21 17.57.20.jpg
    2015-09-21 17.57.20.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 128
Not exactly sure from the picture but I think thats the pipe coming out of the three way joint that connects rocker breather/hockey puck/pipe in question. If so you do not need it, only pipe from the breather system you need for catch can is the elbow/o-ring coming out of the bottom oil breather. Also keep the hockey puck if you plan to vent to TIP. The elbow pipe may well break on removal (mine did and it was a real pain to get out) so i'd think about buying one.

Ye ita come from a 3 way joint so guess wont need as you say and the one you pictured is that what broke on yours what i might need?? And also what best catch can are the cheap ones on ebay good if you put some of the metal wire stuff init for filteration

Yeah the one in the link you will most likely need, if you choose to vent to atmosphere then any cheap can will do as long as it has 19mm inlets/outlets. If venting to the TIP a better baffled can is recommended, I bought a fairly cheap one off ebay and vented to atmosphere and it was fine as far as i know but I didn't run the setup for long due to other issues. If you haven't already I recommend reading this thread
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...catch-can-and-simplify-the-pcv-system.118021/

Ye i seen a catch can on ebay new £50 looks good but is not baffled so i dont see no point of buying it if not even going to do the job .... i will have a read on link you have posted

Another thing i have seen whike looking around forums is somthing to do with oil cap by removing it and checking if it blows air out or has vaccum . Mine blows strong air out of i loosely put oil cap on it would bounce aroundis that normal or should it have vaccum??

Mine does the same with the original breather system or with a catch can, not sure if it should be a vacuum or not.