Audi a4 sline 2005,2L problems.

Tommy Campbell

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm a new to this but need help....
I bought my Audi A4 s line on July this year and started having problems inside aweek...
First thing was black smoke coming out of my exhaust then the engine warning light came on then a week later it started to shudder 1,2,3 and 4th gear.
I took it to an autosparks and it came back as engine mounts,glow plugs and flow mass filter so I rang the dealer and he didn't want to know..So I took the car to my mechanic and he changed the flow mass filter the car drove ok for about a day then same thing started to happen again...There was still loads of black smoke so I was told it might be a bad remap so I got a guy out to check it and he said it was good.
The next day I changed the fuel filter and the fuel in the filter was black.I rang my mechanic again and he said that it must be oil in the fuel....The next thing I was going on holidays with a drive of about 500 miles straight away the car was blowing out black smoke starting to shudder and going into limp mode I had to pull over and restart the car.Then it would run fine for about 20 miles then it would all happen again..also I checked the oil before I left and I had to top it up twice it used about a full dipstick of oil.
When I got back home I took the car to my mechanic (again) and he thought that the only place oil was getting in was the O rings so I've had all them replaced at the cost of £160...
He told me to put £10 of diesel in at a time to empty the tank to get oil the out of the tank, I have put £60 through the car but now there is loads of white smoke and black smoke coming out of the exhaust...I have changed the fuel filter again but no joy.
The car is still going into limp mode,black smoke,white smoke shuttering...everyday the car is different when you drive it...I have looked up all the threads online and people have spent big money and the problem is still there....I'm coming to the end of my wits don't know who to turn to...
Ps the car looks like it's stopped burning oil and my mechanic thinks it a injector...plus I'm going to get the EGR cleaned...has anyone had all these problems and how did they fix it please....Thanks Tommy.

Did you get it mapped or was it already, could be that, could be turbo, could be boost leak and so on, more info will be needing especially for people to give you ideas as diagnosing over the net is nothing worse

No it wasn't mapped...I was getting it checked to see if it was a bad remap before I bought it but it was clear....I know loads have had the same problems with this year of car and engine just looking some answers before I have to spend loads...I think it could be a number of things...
So far I have put in 2 fuel filters, changed all the O rings in the injectors and changed the flo mass filter,

Have you took the pipes off the turbo and checked inside for any oil ??

Not yet ..the white smoke only started when I got the O rings changed on the injectors...I have a friend who is going to clean the egr valve I will ask him to check it...Thanks

Have you took the pipes off the turbo and checked inside for any oil ??
Would the oil get into my diesel through my injectors and do you think if it's in my turbo will it just drive out...sorry I know nothing about cars

White smoke is un burnt fuel ..if your seals are gone in your turbo it will suck oil in

White smoke is un burnt fuel ..if your seals are gone in your turbo it will suck oil in
Sinse the O rings where changed the car has used no oil...but I will get it checked....
If an injector was away would it give the same symptoms....my mechanic thinks that one of the injectors is broken...I've know him over 20 years so he's not trying to fiddle me he just very busy and doesn't have the time thats why I'm trying to get to the root of the problem

theres an easy test to do for your injectors unplug one at a time and get an empty bottle .. Place inject into the bottle and start your engine and see if your getting fuel

theres an easy test to do for your injectors unplug one at a time and get an empty bottle .. Place inject into the bottle and start your engine and see if your getting fuel
Thank you for your time your a star..will keep you posted...

Wee update...
I changed the maf about 5 weeks ago with Lucas part...today a friend told me to unplug it and take it a drive..
Guess what...no black smoke,no white smoke,no shuddering hopefully this is it will keep you posted.

Last edited:
That was my next thing to check but you beet me to it

He still thinks that it's a boost pipe or EGR valve...there's was me thinking it was fixed..
He going to clean egr value and check boost pipes and do a complete oil and oil filter change...hopefully that's it...will update later..

Doing my head in.
Went out today and bought a Bosch Maf at £100 and fitted it.Straight away black and white smoke and a bit of shuttering...I took it up the motorway and the car went into limp mode,what is going on...
I disconnected my maf last week and the car was great no smoke loads of power and no shuttering how can this be..

Another heads up...got the boost pipe checked leading to the turbo and intercooler and the hose is burst both sides so hopefully this is it....to everyone else who reads this please get your boost pipes checked first before you pay hundreds of pounds fixing your car with the same problems as mine.