Vibrations above 80!

Gilbs

Reaction score
I had my wheels powder coated a few months back and when they were re-fitted I had really bad vibrations from about 60mph onwards. I went back, had the faces skimmed to remove the powder coat so they sat correct on the hub and rebalanced. It was then a lot better but never went away totally. I put it down to them putting the wheels back on in a different order so maybe the wear patterns on the tyres was causing it.

Yesterday I had 4 new PS3's fitted and fully balanced, driving home and at about 75-80 the vibrations where back. I took it back to another garage today to have them rebalanced but the vibrations are still there.

Considering I've had new tyres and they have been balanced twice any ideas on what else could be causing the vibrating? It kicks in about 75mph and doesn't go away even when reaching much higher speeds. It's getting very annoying!

Im kind of in the same boat... Im thinking it could be a wheel bearing?

Have you had your wheel alignment looked at? Having your wheels balanced won't do much good if the car's 4 wheel alignment is out

That must be really annoying, I have an ocassional droning sound which is annoying enough, let alone vibration. Like mentioned previously have they been laser aligned? This is more than likely what you need to do. Otherwise I have seen people before who had wheel refurbs and they managed to paint over the weights on the inside of the alloy, worth a check?

1. check wheel nut torque
2. check wheel for buckle
3. check balancing
4. check suspension bushes
4a. check 4 wheel alignment (no point doing it twice if bushes are worn and need replacing)
5. check driveshafts and steering rack and its ends

didn't really thinking about alignment as i always associated that with the car pulling to one side or uneven tyre wear - will go have it done!.
I'd be surprised if it were suspension bushes or anything similar, the car only has 12k on it so i'd hope they would last a little longer than that!

Alignment is next step then otherwise i'll be back for more help if its still not fixed

12k on a 2010 car? That's low!

Also remove the wheels and check there is no cr4p on the hub face of the back of the wheel.

Let us know how you get on.

To add to Sayam's list, check that your brake disks are not warped - can cause brake judder as well as wheel wobble.

Reactions: Sayam
you think 12k is low, i bought it back in feb and it only had 5k on it! Guy swapped it in for an Aston Martin so must have been his weekend car.

The wheels are clean behind and i had the faces skimmed of the powder coat to make sure they were sitting properly. Would a warped disc actually cause wobble at high speeds? i had noticed a slight judder when breaking but had bought it was down to whatever was causing the wobble at high speeds. I'm soon replacing the standard setup with the ttrs so hopefully a change of discs may help too!

Yup, warped disks were definitely the cause of wobble for me - normally at around 70. That and bad judder under braking. Swapped the disks and both went away. It's one of the many possibilities though, so not guaranteed. Seeing as you do have some judder under braking, I'd look into it.

Anyone know of a decent place to get alignment done round the East Yorkshire area? I'm here till tomorrow afternoon before heading back to London so ideally want to get it done before my long drive home.

Later S3 rims are quite soft and can buckle or get run out easily. Run them on the balancer again and get them to check for run out. They will balance up but at higher speeds they dynamically wont balance .

I had my wheels powder coated a few months back and when they were re-fitted I had really bad vibrations from about 60mph onwards. I went back, had the faces skimmed to remove the powder coat so they sat correct on the hub and rebalanced. It was then a lot better but never went away totally. I put it down to them putting the wheels back on in a different order so maybe the wear patterns on the tyres was causing it.

Yesterday I had 4 new PS3's fitted and fully balanced, driving home and at about 75-80 the vibrations where back. I took it back to another garage today to have them rebalanced but the vibrations are still there.

Considering I've had new tyres and they have been balanced twice any ideas on what else could be causing the vibrating? It kicks in about 75mph and doesn't go away even when reaching much higher speeds. It's getting very annoying!
Im in the same boat m8. Had mine banced twice, still get the wobbly wheel. Let me k ow when you find out the answer!!

Have you tried searching, there are other threads on this. Are you using the correct studs for your wheels?

Reactions: Sayam
Got the rights studs and they have been torqued up correctly. I'm going to get the tracking done and discs skimmed and then if it's still happening I'll look at a possible buckled wheel - not sure how this would have happened though as I haven't hit any big pot holes. If it's still vibrating after that then I'll look into upgrading the bushes. Could be an expensive road ahead!

Hope the cheap bits sort it out for mate. Do you know any good places to skim the disks in London? I still have my old disks and would probably want them done too.