Hill Hold Assist/Stopstart not compatable

MarkyH

Marky
Reaction score
Having problems with HHA? Does not appear to work when Start Stop activated as rolled back about a foot tonight when restarting on a hill - anybody else had this? Checked the manual which states that engine needs to be running for HHA to work - seems crazy that you can spec both together when they are incompatable! Also last week rolled forward into barrier damaging front grill which will cost circa £500 as new grill required. Carlisle Audi are querying direct with Audi - hoping I don't have to pay for repair. :grumpy:

Odd, they work fine together on mine (but it is an automatic).

Odd, they work fine together on mine (but it is an automatic).
Ditto for me - seems to work fine. But it does need a delicate touch on the accelerator to restart the car without releasing the HHA.
@MarkyH - are you certain that your car rolled forward/backward with the HHA indicator on in the DIS? If so, looks like a fault.

Mine work absolutely fine together (manual). I'm assuming you mean the "Hold Assist" option, rather than the "Hill Hold" feature that is standard on every car.

Yes the Hill Hold Assist option. Ok guys I will have to try again today but the car deffinately rolled back at some lights on a hill the other day. The HHA did initially hold the car and the green P symbol comes on the dash - put the car in neutral and Stop/Start us activated. Lights go green dip clutch, into 1st gear press accelerator and the car rolled back before moving away. Am I doing something wrong - at this rate I will be switching off either HHA or Start/Stop as don't trust it now!

I don't have manual so am not sure of the sequence. But if you press the clutch and the accelerator I think that you will be cancelling Hold Assist. The car will then rely on Hill Hold to keep the car stationary. This only holds for a couple of seconds. If you don't have the clutch engaged by then the car will roll if on an incline.
Hope someone else can verify this.

When you come to a stop you must apply an initial light touch to the brake for the hold systems to engage otherwise you will roll.

After the hold system has engaged you can release the foot brake and the car will remain stationary and with HHA will remain so indefinatly even once the clutch has been engaged

Maybe you weren't giving it enough beans. Probably a bit trickier to make it work properly with a manual.

Hmmm, I've never thought to come off the clutch and stop the car while using hold assist and certainly not HHA. When I come out of gear I always apply the parking brake.