Gearbox leak

Curley89

S5 & S3 Stage 2+
Reaction score
I have a leak from my gearbox which I have tried to show in the pictures below.

My new clutch was fitted nearly three months ago so I contacted the company that fitted it as there was no problem before. They say oil would have leaked everywhere within this time and they suspect my problem is a worn seal. I park in different spots in my street so it's hard to tell if there are any oil patches from my car on the floor but I looked in my garage and found a small patch directly under where the gearbox sits. I haven't parked in my garage for six weeks so this patch has came from the handful of times during the six week period I parked in my garage after having the clutch fitted.

I've had a very reputable mechanic tell me it's nearly guaranteed that the leak started because of the seal being knocked (or damaged) when the clutch was fitted. He has also never had a seal 'go hard' as described and that the damaged seals he has experienced have damage that is very hard to see.

The company in question have offered to remove the transfer box and take a look, if there are chunks missing then they will replace free of charge but if it is just a failed seal then I'll have to front the costs.

My question to you all is have you experienced a purely worn seal? Am I vulnerable to be forced to pay for damaged caused to my seals when they remove the transfer box and inspect the seal?

Out of respect and while this is ongoing, I won't be mentioning any names for obvious reasons.

S3 gearbox leak by Liam Curley, on Flickr

S3 gearbox leak by Liam Curley, on Flickr