Knocking/ clunking from front.....running out of options

goodbuzzman1

Reaction score
ive been trying to figure out a knocking clunking noise from the front of my s3 but can't seem to figure it.

It knocks when I come to a stop, accelerate off, and turn from a stop. It feels like it comes from bang in the middle around the transfer box area although I know sound travels.

So far I have done the following.

Brand new ball joints
Brand new drop links
All new poly bushed wishbones
New shocks
New drive shafts complete with cv joints
New arb poly bushes

I just can't find it...Any ideas? Subframe bushes? Steering rack bushes?

Maybe prop shaft rubber joint, steering rack mount, strut top mounts, or even engine mounts, diagnosing unknown clunks can be a real nightmare.

ive been trying to figure out a knocking clunking noise from the front of my s3 but can't seem to figure it.

It knocks when I come to a stop, accelerate off, and turn from a stop. It feels like it comes from bang in the middle around the transfer box area although I know sound travels.

So far I have done the following.

Brand new ball joints
Brand new drop links
All new poly bushed wishbones
New shocks
New drive shafts complete with cv joints
New arb poly bushes

I just can't find it...Any ideas? Subframe bushes? Steering rack bushes?

i had this with my last s3 pal. engine mount and the dogbone mount were goosed { if either fails it take other with it apparentley }

Just replaced my mounts on my b6 audi a4, due to knock sometimes after taking foot of accelerator, thump at the wheel pulling away and vibration at low rpm. All relieved with engine mount replacement. So my money is on mountings being shot on your car

I had this when i put my A3 back together the first time... Went at the subframe bolts with an air gun and everything was fine after.

Subframe bolts do have a tendency of stretching also... Maybe new bolts done up to FUUUUUCK!

If its 'clunking' when stopping and accelerating, engine mounts are the first thing I'd think of.

I've got an annoying rubbing noise on mine I'm trying to find at the mo, ARB bushes are next to replace.......

Just to update this. I finally fixed my problem.

After replacing every conceivable suspension component, I bought 4 new subframe bolts and all my knocking is gone.

Could have saved hundreds but at least all my suspension will last me a while

Nice to hear mate! I've still got mine sadly but fault finding is a pain.