Clutch Slipping

Ben Mitchell

Lead Foot!
Reaction score
Hi All
Im new to this forum but hoping someone might be able to help me out
When driving my S1 the clutch randomly slips i could be in any gear and foot nowhere near the clutch and it'll just start revving and a loss of power.

it is completely standard but before i take it into Audi thought id see if it's a common problem.

Very interesting. Lots of people with stage 1 tune have been having this issue, but maybe the clutch is just not up to it in general? You are the first standard owner to mention it though.

Reactions: Ben Mitchell
Yeah take it back to Audi, it must be a faulty clutch. Hopefully we might all get a recall and get a free upgraded clutch under warranty

Reactions: PastS1Owner and josedebardi
One of the reasons I rejected my S1 in the end was exactly this.
It would slip like crazy at times and even in the end come out of gear!

They changed the clutch and flywheel...Although I didn't have it much after that to see if it rectified the issue.

Reactions: Charliem1994
One of the reasons I rejected my S1 in the end was exactly this.
It would slip like crazy at times and even in the end come out of gear!

They changed the clutch and flywheel...Although I didn't have it much after that to see if it rectified the issue.

I wouldn't mind but I nearly had a nasty accident because of it. Pulling out of a junction really was the worst time for it to happen luckily the other guy was on the ball and managed to go round me.

It's just so random... Booked in with Stansted audi on the 11th. They did hint the cost would be well over £1000 which is worrying and I certainly won't be paying a pennie for a replacement if needed

Reactions: Ian Whiffen
If it's under 6k miles then warranty covers items like clutch which would normally be classed under wear and tear. Though honestly if it was up to 10k I'd still be suggesting they foot the bill.
It's pretty clear that the clutch is the weak point in the drive train and only just up to the job in stock form considering stage 1 clearly is way to much for it.

I've done 12000 ish and if it is the case they won't cover it under warranty i think personally that is ludicrous as they quoted over £1000 to have a new one fitted.

I've done 12000 ish and if it is the case they won't cover it under warranty i think personally that is ludicrous as they quoted over £1000 to have a new one fitted.
I would buy a Sachs uprated clutch for about £500 and get a private garage to fit it for about £200

buying an uprated clutch would that not void any warranty on the car?
or would it only void warranty on the clutch/gearbox?

buying an uprated clutch would that not void any warranty on the car?
or would it only void warranty on the clutch/gearbox?
Not really sure to be honest. I don't think it would be classed as a performance mod because it just has different friction material. I was just thinking along the lines of if Audi are wanting to charge nearly a grand for a standard clutch then you may as well get something better

Reactions: Ben Mitchell
Get Audi to pay for a new clutch....shouldnt be any questions asked !

Hi all
As my clutch has got worse thought I'd show you what it's doing
Booked in with Audi on the 11th so hopefully it'll last

Link below to my YouTube page

Hi all been in to AUDI today with my slippy clutch and all been replaced under warranty wonder how long i can make this one last.
:rolleyes new:

Reactions: timmayyyy_nz
Excellent result :) Apart from a clutch that lasts more than 12000 miles, you couldn't really ask for more than that!

Agreed @thewanted It would be nice to have a clutch that is suited to the job i will give them a grilling over it tomorrow when i collect see what they say about it No doubt they will say it's down to how i drive being a youngster. didn't do too bad out of my courtesy car though A5 3L TDI

HAHAHA sorry i should laugh i would have thrown the keys back at them i did try to blag an R8 as one had just pulled up but they wasnt having any of it funny enough!

and i bet even this A5 has incredible fuel economy but then i suppose we didn't buy S1's for that LOL