RS3 test driven...

Compkiler

Reaction score
Well, as the title sais, I've just been for a test drive in the new RS3!
First thoughts as it pulled up for me to get inside were wow... What a sound track! Sounded great idling and when he revved it up.
So I got in took her out and immediately noticed the turbo lag. Once going she's fast and pulls well but there's no comparison in performance between mine and this new RS3??? I was totally shocked!
I let the salesman take mine out afterwards and he was blown away! Said mine felt great and the look on his face was priceless :)
The RS3 definitely felt planted though and the steering was direct and very easy.
As for the inside styling, well that was just fantastic and it looked ****** awesome!

Anyway, I'm glad I tried it but for the price, there is no way I would pay for the RS3 as for a car like this, I wana feel like I'm in a high performance car and truthfully, I didn't :-(

I'm happy I'm still an S3 owner and proud to be in a non facelift ;-)

Reactions: Allman45, Marine_918, s3_trev and 3 others
I do like the look of the first RS3 but this is where personal preference comes in.

I didn't want 5 doors and it was never going to match the performance as there are no kits or parts to get close to what the 2.0 can do as far as the RS3 is concerned.

Well, as the title sais, I've just been for a test drive in the new RS3!
First thoughts as it pulled up for me to get inside were wow... What a sound track! Sounded great idling and when he revved it up.
So I got in took her out and immediately noticed the turbo lag. Once going she's fast and pulls well but there's no comparison in performance between mine and this new RS3??? I was totally shocked!
I let the salesman take mine out afterwards and he was blown away! Said mine felt great and the look on his face was priceless :)
The RS3 definitely felt planted though and the steering was direct and very easy.
As for the inside styling, well that was just fantastic and it looked ****** awesome!

Anyway, I'm glad I tried it but for the price, there is no way I would pay for the RS3 as for a car like this, I wana feel like I'm in a high performance car and truthfully, I didn't :-(

I'm happy I'm still an S3 owner and proud to be in a non facelift ;-)
We test drove one. I loved it. But as Alex said, the four door was an issue...for the missus!! To be fair, the RS3 was 32k and we paid 22k for our S3. I prefer the RS but I'm happy driving ours.

I had a tear up with an RS3 on the way back from GTI international. He destroyed me! It must have been mapped because that thing was way quicker than the modest 341bhp we have. F*cker!! Haha

Reactions: Allman45, Compkiler and S3Alex
It's a completely unmodified car though, throw a few grand at an RS3 and you'll have mid-high 400's i'd imagine along with that awesome 5 pot sound track. If I had money to throw away I would have one but it wouldn't be my choice if I was spending near 50K on a car that's for sure...

Yes you can map it but 50k for a new one is bonkers.. you can get an 8p sportback dsg with low miles for less than 20k, completely overhaul the suspension and geometry and brakes, big turbo it and have a cheaper, faster car with all the same space as a new RS3. The only thing it would lack is the 5 pot note and low to mid range punch. If not having that noise really bothers you don't worry because you could console yourself however with a number of holidays with the money saved.. or pay off half the mortgage.

It makes no financial sense at all to get one.. its just not significantly different enough from the old RS3. If they had made it 400hp + with Torsen 4WD then its a bit more of an attractive buy for the money.

I still think the new RS4 will be Audi's next iconic car. Back to forced induction hopefully.

Reactions: RedDejavu, leshkin and s3_trev
Yes you can map it but 50k for a new one is bonkers.. you can get an 8p sportback dsg with low miles for less than 20k, completely overhaul the suspension and geometry and brakes, big turbo it and have a cheaper, faster car with all the same space as a new RS3. The only thing it would lack is the 5 pot note and low to mid range punch. If not having that noise really bothers you don't worry because you could console yourself however with a number of holidays with the money saved.. or pay off half the mortgage.

It makes no financial sense at all to get one.. its just not significantly different enough from the old RS3. If they had made it 400hp + with Torsen 4WD then its a bit more of an attractive buy for the money.

I still think the new RS4 will be Audi's next iconic car. Back to forced induction hopefully.

100% agree buddy!

Reactions: s3_trev
From what I've read, the larger motor sits too far forward. Very wide tyres help, but it would always have a heavy nose.

I'm sure its tunable, tuners tune for the masses so likely not to be many kits and it would be a lot of custom.

For that coin, I'd be looking at other brands.

Buying any new car makes no financial sense though! But it's what people will do to get in to a brand new car that they want. I suppose we have to be thankful that some people do buy new, or lease more likely, and a few years down the line at half value they hit the used market. (Well, except the odd well-chosen model that appreciates in value/sought after).