rattle from engine guidance

S3_nick

Reaction score
hi guys after abit of guidance with a little noise I've got coming from my S3.

First start up the noise is at its loudest the noise sounds like a noisy/sticky lifter as soon as its warmed up noise has gone rev it nothing spot on but when you drive under light load you get the rattle back again not as loud as when it first starts up but it is there as soon as your on boost and higher revs the noise cannot be herd any one ever had this before? could this possibly be a noisy lifter or even the cam chain tensioner? any input or advice would be great.

Thanks Nick

On start up is it a brrrrat sort of noise?... scanned for fault codes?

<tuffty/>

On start up is it a brrrrat sort of noise?... scanned for fault codes?

<tuffty/>

more a tappy noise on start up id say but the brrrat noise dose sound some what similar to the warm light loud noise i get its wierd youde think it would be there when revved but its not its only there on the load in gear when warm.

No fault codes and mine is non VVT

Could still be the tensioner... its known for the tensioner pads to break and the noise could be the chain hitting whats left... sticky followers normally go when warm like you say but could be a worn one I guess, could be oil pressure related too...

Prob gonna have to take the cam cover off and have a look mate...

<tuffty/>

Could still be the tensioner... its known for the tensioner pads to break and the noise could be the chain hitting whats left... sticky followers normally go when warm like you say but could be a worn one I guess, could be oil pressure related too...

Prob gonna have to take the cam cover off and have a look mate...

<tuffty/>

ive got an oil pressure gauge fitted in the car and all seems good in that respect i think like you say going to have to take the cover off i do have another good chain tensioner i beleave you have to remove the exhaust cam to do this? am while im in there best off changing the lifters too? it wouldnt have anything to do with the double valve springs would it?

Remove the inlet cam mate not the exhaust

Double valve springs are fine... I run supertech top end, OE followers and cams...

<tuffty/>

sorry mate ment inlet, i may remove both cams and replace the followers if i cant see any dammage to the tensioner, dose the tensioner go weak so makes it easy to push it down by hand when faulty?

Tensioner is oil fed so there should be a degree of resistance I believe but its not something I have looked at personally... tensioners normally make a distinctive noise when they are on their way out...

Faulty tensioners tend to make a noise on cold start then the really bad ones make a noise as you roll a few revs on from idle... normally on the over run

<tuffty/>

did i read that the chain hits the cam cover to make that noise tuffty? so there would be marks on the underside of the cam cover right?

also mate i have a few videos of when my s3 spun 2x big end bearings on youtube, titled iirc 's3 noise' parts 1,2,3 and 4!-) that started off very intermittently.

Cam chain shouldn't touch the cam cover but if the guide pads are broken it could flap about a bit... you would certainly hear that though

<tuffty/>

I've got a rattle noise at certain rpm sounds like it's coming from the intercooler pipe but no problem with boosting or anything just a massively annoying rattle:(
hi guys after abit of guidance with a little noise I've got coming from my S3.

First start up the noise is at its loudest the noise sounds like a noisy/sticky lifter as soon as its warmed up noise has gone rev it nothing spot on but when you drive under light load you get the rattle back again not as loud as when it first starts up but it is there as soon as your on boost and higher revs the noise cannot be herd any one ever had this before? could this possibly be a noisy lifter or even the cam chain tensioner? any input or advice would be great.

Thanks Nick