Lgv/hgv license

Andy Crooks

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Just after abit of advise about how to obtain my Lgv license. I have done abit research and found a few things of relevance but I can't digest what it's saying. I know there's the medical and the theory and the learning to drive the things and then a practical but I want to know abit more in depth if anyone knows anything.

Many thanks

Your on about your class C (Rigid licence) i presume.
You need to apply for a provisional HGV licence, you can get the form from the post office. You will need to do a medical, contact your Doctor and he will advise you on the form you need to get. Im pretty sure you get this form from the dvla when they send you your provisional entitlement. (Long time since i did my HGV)
You will have to do your theory test as well, plenty of info on the net about the theory but i would advise you buy the HGV theory test book available from wh smith. Pretty straight forward to pass, just memorise breaking distances and axle weights.

Hope this helps a bit

I have category C and C+E HGV licences.
You need provisional entitlement on your full car licence to take Cat C and requires a medical. After passing the theory and practical tests you can then do the C+E course if you want to drive articulated vehicles or rigid vehicles with a trailer.
See https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving

Thanks for all info guys, ive made a few enquiries with some training companies most of them can sort your medical out for £40 which is good compared to my gp which is £149. im still waiting for a few places to get back to me before i make a decision and ill be getting the hgv theory stuff to help. My biggest problem would be the theory as im dyslexic and struggle with that sort of stuff.

The theory test is a touch button screen, but i would tell the people at the theory test centre about your dyslexia and they will sit with you and explain the questions to you.

Ah cool ok, thanks. Someone i work with at the minute is like i cant see you as a trucker haha, im always willing to try something new and it can be good money

Reactions: Archies and Tfsi gone
I drove lorries years ago and it was ok. The newest trailer units have more mod cons than any Audi has, however driving at 56mph max has its draw backs..

You will get used to the 56mph restriction, Look at it this way, doing 56mph all day when you get in your Audi it'll feel like your in a rocket.:hubbahubba:

Until you get stuck behind 2 lorries overtaking each other at 56mph :sob: