Why did you buy an Audi?

@Muttley75 - First S3 - Deposit refunded without having to ask even tho' the car was built & at the supplying Dealers
Second S3 - Supplying Dealer of the S3 ws the same one as I got my S4 from, so simply transferred the deposit over, no questions

Not saying the S3 saloon is a bad car at all, I still like it TBH
It will probably be back on my shopping list when I come to change the S4 as I really don't like the looks of the B9 A4
Still prefer my old school hairy chested 3 litre supercharged V6 S4 ;):D

@The Challinor - Drove me nuts but I can see the funny side :laugh:
I'd forgotten about that ****** BM! :laugh:

I'll never forget the BM

In 2013 it was time for my wife's new car. Her Toyota was old lol.

She had dreamed of a 3 series BMW since she was a kid. So we started there. After driving 13 different cars from BMW, Mercedes, etc. last drive was an A5 Quattro. Build quality, materials, design, paint color, comfort all checked the box far better than all the similar priced competitors I drove including coupes and sedans (saloons).

The number one reason we went Audi though was the Quattro AWD. The difference in safety during the daily Florida afternoon deluge of rain versus FWD & RWD two-wheel drive vehicles is crazy noticeable. It rains so heavy here it rains up lol.

When it was my turn, I started with an RS3 hot hatch in mind, but to my dismay learned those won't be offered in the US. Not even the S3 Hatch. Only the S3 Saloon. Since I strongly dislike the pop tart display, and wanted a manual transmission, and diesels are not an economical choice like in Europe, searched for a Golf R. There were none available in 4 doors.

Fell in love with the S4 during research so I drove each package version - DSG, 6mt, with & without sport diff, with and without adaptive dampening, I found a special color Nogaro blue sitting in the show room with the package i wanted. Second time in my life I experienced love at first sight in my life (first was my wife in case you are wondering lol).

TLDR - Quattro awd, looks/design, build quality, ride comfort were better than 13 similar competitors

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Fell in love with the S4 during research so I drove each package version - DSG, 6mt, with & without sport diff, with and without adaptive dampening, I found a special color Nogaro blue sitting in the show room with the package i wanted. Second time in my life I experienced love at first sight in my life (first was my wife in case you are wondering lol).

TLDR - Quattro awd, looks/design, build quality, ride comfort were better than 13 similar competitors
@Jokingjimmy - Funny that, so did I ;)

Get yourself in here
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/forums/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b8-chassis.131/
with some pics etc of your S4 buddy :thumbs up:

What I find surprising reading through this post is that virtually no one has said they bought Audi because of the brand image. Surely this must be a factor even if you've not listed it? In the same way lots of people buy Apple because of the brand kudos rather than because it's a good product. There are people who but certain things because it demonstrates their wealth, style, taste and class. Anyone guilty of this, just a tiny bit..? I'm afraid I am. Although I'm an Android man myself.

What I find surprising reading through this post is that virtually no one has said they bought Audi because of the brand image. Surely this must be a factor even if you've not listed it? In the same way lots of people buy Apple because of the brand kudos rather than because it's a good product. There are people who but certain things because it demonstrates their wealth, style, taste and class. Anyone guilty of this, just a tiny bit..? I'm afraid I am. Although I'm an Android man myself.

Absolutely not, it wasn't even a consideration. As I've said earlier on, if the same car had a Skoda, VW, Seat or any other badge on it then I honestly wouldn't give a monkey's. It's interesting that you mention perception of the brand though; since we bought this car, my sister is under the bizarre impression that Mrs Wife and I are now some sort of high-rolling rock stars with untold wealth and fortune, the fact that the car cost no more per month on a 60 month HP than a Focus (Titanium X 2.0 TDCi) over 48 months seems lost on her.

Absolutely not, it wasn't even a consideration. As I've said earlier on, if the same car had a Skoda, VW, Seat or any other badge on it then I honestly wouldn't give a monkey's. It's interesting that you mention perception of the brand though; since we bought this car, my sister is under the bizarre impression that Mrs Wife and I are now some sort of high-rolling rock stars with untold wealth and fortune, the fact that the car cost no more per month on a 60 month HP than a Focus (Titanium X 2.0 TDCi) over 48 months seems lost on her.
My point exactly! People see the four rings and think 'rich *******'.

I bought a SEAT Cupra, 6 months old for £16k in 2010. My neighbour said nothing except 'Oh see you've got another motor!'

Last year I bought a four year old TT for similar money (just £900 more) and he says 'Going up in the world? What do you do for a living, if you don't mind me asking?'.

So when I decided to get rid of the TT, I feel obliged to stick with a premium brand so everyone doesn't think I've fallen on hard times or been demoted at work lol.

Right or wrong, brand perception was on my list, albeit not the top item. Tech & interior trim quality were at no 1.

I notice most folks in here are outside the US. But I'll tell you, that is not necessarily the case here in America. Audi had a long time bad reputation due to the Audi 5000 fiasco back in the 80s/90s. I know it's changed a lot lately, but for me it was the last of the cars I looked at. I only stopped to drive them as a whim after a disappointing two day run of test driving a dozen cars looking for my wife's car. I happened to be driving by the Audi dealership on the way home and thought, "ah what the heck, it can't hurt". At the time the name, to me, didn't compare to BMW I have to admit. Drove a couple Audis and that was all it took. Now we have two in the family.

I will admit I've become an Audi fanboi now though. They got me! Even joined the Audi Club America LOL!

I think a lot of it is to do with UK marketing. Until about 12-15 years ago, Audi were very much seen as a poor man's BMW. BMWs then started to outsell the Mondeo and I think that devalued the brand. Mercs seem a bit too blingy and don't have particularly good quality interiors. Audi have that licked. They are to cars as Apple are to tech.

Reactions: Daveotto
I had no intentions of ever buying anything German especially not a VW product however I was convinced to test drive one and that was it.

I think a lot of it is to do with UK marketing. Until about 12-15 years ago, Audi were very much seen as a poor man's BMW. BMWs then started to outsell the Mondeo and I think that devalued the brand. Mercs seem a bit too blingy and don't have particularly good quality interiors. Audi have that licked. They are to cars as Apple are to tech.

Audi's technology is good but can't forget about Tesla.

Surely Tesla are the Apple of the car world.

Tesla are the Google or the Microsoft. Technically competent but lack a little kudos and class.

But google lacks class

Tesla are not perfect but they are killing there sector at the moment.
Isn't that what I said?

Google - lack kudos and class but packed with features.
Apple - more polished, classy but with bit of brand snobbery.
Tesla - more of a Google than an Apple wouldn't you say?

I have bought an S3 (well am waiting on one) because I had a great one 10 years ago albeit the 3.2 DSG 3dr, as couldn't quite find the money to finance the S3, and I loved it / just connected with it immediately.

I've had about 6 cars since, from the sublime (535i hybrid) to the ridiculous (1.2 Corsa) and tbh I've always compared them to that first A3 and was disappointed in some way, whether it be the gearbox, sounds (my old one had Bose), build quality or the fact the Audi didn't put a foot wrong mechanically. So I always dreamt about getting back on the saddle, and now due to getting my family sorted in a life house and manageable mortgage, not to mention climbing up the greasy pole with work, I'm now in a position to treat myself, and see if the new Audi lives up to my old expectations......

You know sometimes it's just a feeling that can draw you to something....

(The other reason - completely unintentionally - is my boss has just bought himself a new G**f GTI and I'd really like to dust him off at the lights when leaving the office one night!!!) That however is another type of feeling all together!

Reactions: Daveotto
Don't knock the GTI, it's a cracking car. And 90% the same as the A/S3 anyway...

Reactions: Jokingjimmy
I didn't, and I know.

It was more about getting one over on the boss.

Confused by these 3 pages of waffle? Good, now follow my easy buyers guide below:

VW Golf = Boy Racers car through and through, always was and always will be, Very bland looks - Wrong :sadlike:

BMW = Hugely overated, very ugly and outdated interior - Wrong :sadlike:

Subby/Evo = Driven by spotty oiks in trackies with girlfriends that shout a lot. Very ugly - Very wrong :sadlike:
Audi = Classy understated good looks (bit like me) with 4 rings. World leading interior. So right :rockwoot:

Reactions: gordie1973
Confused by these 3 pages of waffle? Good, now follow my easy buyers guide below:

VW Golf = Boy Racers car through and through, always was and always will be, Very bland looks - Wrong :sadlike:

Subby/Evo = Driven by spotty oiks with girlfriends that shout a lot. Very ugly - Very wrong :sadlike:
Audi = Classy understated good looks (bit like me) with 4 rings. World leading interior. So right :rockwoot:
Glad you put the 'like me' bit in brackets after classy, good looking and understated... And not after four rings!

Reactions: Simon L
When I bought my first A3 back in 1998 I must admit the badge and the then rarity of the A3 played a part. But mainly because VW could no longer supply me with another Golf VR6 and I didn't want to go back to an 'ordinary' GTI. I have driven a VW or Audi since 1976 when I bought my first Golf and have always liked the way they do things and the general quality so 'stepping up' to an A3 seems an obvious choice. It's a decision I have never regretted even though there are a lot more A3s on the road now.

I had a 2 litre FSI Seat Altea and, although the performance was good, I thought the fuel economy was less than I should expect from a 'modern' 2 litre engine. I then started to read about the VW 1.4TFSI engine and how well it performed. I was a bit sceptical but I read more and more glowing reports. I wanted a compact estate and was very interested in the Volvo V50, but was less than thrilled by a test drive and the dealer offered me a take it or leave it deal. So I left it!

My boss had an 8P A3 sportback and suggested I should consider that. When I discovered there was a 1.4TFSI version I saw it as a distinct possibiility - and I will admit that the brand image was an added attraction. A test drive was enough to convince me and I bought my 8P in 2010. I drove it for 4 years and liked it enough to graduate to the 8V when I retired, justifying it as a retirement present to myself. I haven't been disappointed and it's great to have plenty of time to enjoy it.

While I had my 8P, I used to work so hard that I was too tired to want to go anywhere at the weekends, so I didn't drive it as much as I could have, although it was a lovely car. One of my most memorable journeys was from Hampshire to Northumberland, 330 miles round the M25 and up the A1, and the car did it easily.

Subby/Evo = Driven by spotty oiks in trackies with girlfriends that shout a lot. Very ugly - Very wrong :sadlike:

No actually all those preassumptions are correct.

As an American, I agree with you on the Tesla and Google comparison. Those are both ultra tech companies that both appealed to my geek side. But both sell over-priced products. Considering electric cars is nothing new to the world when in reality they used to exist along side gasoline automobiles back in the 1920s, then tried again in the 90s with General Motors and eventually shut down. I don't see for the life of me now why a company would charge well over $70,000K for a car that will only deliver about 200 mile range. I think the high end models top out over $100K for 300+ mile range those are pathetic compared to gasoline, diesel, and hybrids automobiles.

Then look at Google who's essentially took the Virtual Reality/Head Mounted Display craze of the 90s (anyone remember the cheap Tiger Electronics made R-Zone toy?) and created a device called Google Glass and instead of selling the low res under $200 production cost device around like $300, they charge $1,500 for the device with locked single license support to block resell.
Which is why the product is deemed by the average consumer as a Dead on Arrival flop and now Google is looking to sell it to Enterprise only (business suckers).

Off-topic, but in addition to range, my issue with electric cars is where does the electricity come from to power them? In most cases, coal or gas power stations, so they're hardly environmentally friendly. And then there are the massive batteries with a short, finite lifespan - what about disposing of those in an eco-friendly way? They may be the future, but only when they run on CO2, solar or water and can do 500 miles without interruption. Until then, they're nothing more than an expensive experiment.

Off-topic, but in addition to range, my issue with electric cars is where does the electricity come from to power them? In most cases, coal or gas power stations, so they're hardly environmentally friendly. And then there are the massive batteries with a short, finite lifespan - what about disposing of those in an eco-friendly way? They may be the future, but only when they run on CO2, solar or water and can do 500 miles without interruption. Until then, they're nothing more than an expensive experiment.

I keep wondering when there will be a non-internal combustion engine that will meet my needs. We are getting closer but still quite some distance away in terms of range. And, as you say, the environmental credentials of current options are not exactly clear in any case.

I did a quick calculation here in Florida, and based on our price per wattage, it looked like the electric car would be very close to the same operational cost as a gas burner with decent mileage. Of course, not including oil changes - not sure what regular maintenance costs on an electric vehicle, so didn't compare. But yah, we burn coal here, so the environmental impact argument isn't as relevant. And the cost factor negligible. Very similar reasons why diesel cars don't do well here. With the premium price charged for diesel fuel, the higher fuel economy doesn't offset the higher price of the car and fuel. Over a 4 year period, we calculated we'd come out about the same buying a diesel vs. a gas car. Now if we put 30k per year on each of our cars, it would have favored the diesel, but I'm sure you get the point.

I keep wondering when there will be a non-internal combustion engine that will meet my needs. We are getting closer but still quite some distance away in terms of range. And, as you say, the environmental credentials of current options are not exactly clear in any case.

here you go! Engineering students at Purdue have answered your call!

Brands are very important, of course they are. We all have our favourites. Whether it's an airline, a brand of coffee, a computer, whatever. Cars are a huge purchase and they also stir the emotions in us. I've always been a BMW man, since 2000. Currently in a 5 Series. A great brand, never had any issues with the cars, mechanical or otherwise and they are genuinely great drivers cars. And the dealer network is very strong here in Ireland and well run. They have their own finance company here whereas Mercedes don't and it's killing Merc sales.

I'm going to change in the next few months, looking at a new S3. I just like them and fancy a change. Used to have an E46 M3 and that was a riot. But I had it when petrol prices went to USD150 a barrel and I was getting 15 MPG. The S3 seems a fun package and I like Audis even though I never had one!

Audi and the VAG group are very strong here as well. Good financing options, (half the APRs offered of BMW) and they seem very well run.

It's a brand I will have no issue switching to as I know it will be good quality and the interiors are hugely appealing.

I bought an Audi because I can and yes I am a total cu..t and everyone hates me and is totally jealous

Reactions: 4K, The Challinor and Muttley75