a3 tfsi woosh/tshhh noise

magic123

Reaction score
I have a 56 plate 2.0tfsi Quattro A3, I don't get very good MPG (26 at best) and notice normally more when cold a tshhhh noise when I put down the clutch (almost like when it engages) and I think when I rev it high and let off the throttle (need to investigate more on that) its had the PCV done, almost like a dump valve/air release noise but when clutch is engaged any ideas?? also my EM light keeps coming on with the knock sensor alerting but all sounds normal/running ok) goes out after afew days come on twice in about 4months

Have you ever changed the standard dump valve? Early OEM ones has a rubber diaphragm which splits causing boost leaks. MPG wise seems fine for town driving.

that's 15-20mile run (twice a day) I havnt no, had the car nearly 2.5years, believe prev owner as an audi mastertech, wether im on a run on motorway or town (Town seems better?) worst ive had is 23.3mpg, just worried bout the knock sensor and only seems to come on with clutch (tshhhh noise)

its bit of a pain to get to on ours but I would deffo check it over make sure its been replaced.

cheers, anything else to check or look at due to the knock sensor etc? as pcv was done last year due to being very lumpy and I think it backfired once or twice sounded like an evo idling (which I liked!) , but due to it revving randomly esp at traffic lights looking like a chav I got it done!

not sure tbh (im female lol) my mechanic told me, he said that the knock sensor is coming up with a fault and my ECU is disagreeing which made my EM light come on (and then off in a day or so) I could see if hes still got the code only thing is it wasn't with VAGCOM

Yea would help lol. Could be a few different things that cause a knock sensor error, from dodgy fuel to a faulty sensor or wiring.

cheers he works at ford so it was their plug in system that was used, its come on since then and hes servicing it in afew weeks so if not I can get it then, cheers so get dump valve and pipes checked?

Yup. If car is on a ramp its easy to check the DV. Take drivers side front wheel off to make it easier.

If it looks anything like this then replace it:

20121021_124437.jpg

cheers, any idea on cost of part? how to guide for dump valve? lol

spoken to mechanic said he replaced DV when he did the PCV....