Running in period

JonnyDerv

Reaction score
Pick up my car on Monday after having rods fitted, also new piston rings, head skimmed, exhaust valve guides and stem seals and a general clean up.

Is there a running period after having this mini refurb done? If so how long roughly?

From research as I'm doing a hybrid build in the next year or so.

Many people unplug the N75, so the car is only boosting of the actuator pressure.

Then using mineral oil and changing at 20,50,200,500,1000 intervals.

That might be a little excessive though, I think prawns covered this with a hard break in technic which has proved to work well with his builds.

hard break in all the way! I swear by it.

I've done my last 3 engines that way, and all have gone onto produce record breaking results at the time with excellent reliability and characteristics (low oil usage, high compression test results etc)

I was using about 75% throttle and 6k rpm within the first 10 miles. N75 unplugged to keep boost low, but lots of throttle and lots of over run.

I ran 10w40 mineral up to 50 miles, then swapped for more mineral for 100 miles. a 3rd lot of mineral from that 150 up to 300 miles, then swapped to fully synth and plugged the N75 back in.

At 500 miles it was on the dyno at 350+ bhp. Not looked back since!

As above! Hard break in all the way! :)

Regular oil changes are essential. As is mineral oil for running in and NOT synthetic stuff.

Er I've had 5w40 put in :/ well that's what I've gave them. It's at JBS so they should know it's wrong oil at this stage

Last edited:
I wouldn't assume anything

<tuffty/>

Can't do anything till Monday so assuming will make me feel better until then, ignorance is bliss after all.

Can't remember off the top of my head (see what I did there) the price, it's way over a £1000 if that helps, around £1500 I think, can tell you Monday

Other than the wrong oil haha, I supplied manifold gasket and turbo gasket as I'm having a relentless V4 fitted at the same time. Everything else they've supplied so yeah I'm guessing it's probably abit north of £1500

Okay dokay, change after 50 miles, drive to 150 miles and change again, then change at 300 miles for synthetic got it :)

Reactions: VAG-Slag
change the synthetic stuff out STRAIGHT away.

I wouldn't be doing the most important first 50 miles on it at all. Drop it whereever the car is currently parked.

Will make sure they've not put it in thanks. Do you need to change the oil filter at every oil change or just after the running in period?

Filter change is most important on the first few yes, as all the little bits that'll be wearing in will be floating around in the oil.

First oil drop will look like it's full of glitter! Quite alarming really!

I read about the metal bits looking like glitter, guess that's what girls are talking about when they put the powered by fairy dust stickers on their cars