MPG Increases?

RMJ891

Reaction score
Just out of interest (I know it's not why any of us got an S1), but does anyone know whether MPG will improve over time?

Last week, just to see what I could do, I drove from out of London (rural and A-roads) to central London (urban) as efficiently as I could.

In the outside London part, using coasting whenever possible, I managed around 37mpg (according to the DIS), and driving at 80mph in 6th I tend to get about 33-34mpg, but by the time I'd got into London (again coasting, using stop-start etc), my average for the 1h30 journey had dropped to 29.5mpg.

My point is that, at no stage was I ever near the claimed 40mpg. Also, that 37mpg was achieved whilst driving ridiculously lightly - it would have plummeted had I gone near the accelerator!

I'm 1,100 miles in - does anyone have experience of this improving?

the 2.0 tsi/ tfsi never been good for economy , i have found always better on v power

I don't think there are any MPG increases in Germany with this car. My car sees 100mph every day, but I don't mind the below 25mpg average.

Reactions: gingers3
I'm averaging about 31 mpg commuting and the occasional blast, more than happy with this I got 36 mpg on a long run.

Click the fuelly in my sig to see graphs over time. It's definitely got better, going from mid-20's to low-30's.

Yeah - though I always wonder whether that's just being more sensible as the car becomes less new :)

I wanted to use fuelly, but I got the app and I didn't seem to be allowed to use £ and litres, but also see MPG (it had to be l/100km), and it didn't understand my first fill-up at all... just use the DIS, now... haven't reset my number 2 log since new and (including the first weekend where I averaged about 8mpg), I'm now on about 27.9.

Don't think I drive any differently.

I always reset Comp2 each fillup and the DIS MPG is only ever 0.1 or 0-2 out vs the calculated which is nice as usually they are way optimistic!

My car is now coming up to 2,000 miles, and it seems Audi may not have been lying after all. I had a drive the other day, mostly doing 45 in a 50mph zone in moving traffic, where I got 40.5mpg on a 15 mile run.

Admittedly it took a LOT of effort and thinking about - even a slight squeeze of the throttle sent it plummeting - but I don't think it would have been possible a while back.

Sad I know, but hey.

my average at the moment is 38.6mpg on this tank and on a 80 mile journey to Swindon and back it averaged over 40, so it is def getting better, my car has now done 11,000 miles