Advice after cleaning

Trevolly

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can help with an issue I've got after cleaning the car today. I pre cleaned with Valet Pro Citrus pre wash, then rinsed off, then washed the car with Bilt Hamber Auto Wash, then used a Bilt Hamber Soft Clay Bar. After rinsing again I lightly sprayed the car with Autoglym Rapid Detailer (to stop water marks) and then I dried off the car using a Dodo Juice soft drying towel.

I then used R222 wax on the car. It was a hot day but I kept the car in the shade as best as I could, often moving it so the area I was working on was always in the shade whilst I waxed it. It has come up really really shiny but I've noticed all over the car is microscopic dots and the paintwork feels rough when you run your hand over it. If you gently run your nail over it the dots come off.

I've not put any pics up as I've tried to take some but the dots just don't show on the pics, they are that small. The wax came off fine after applying and nothing else in the cleaning process was any diff to normal. I've clayed the car before and it was as smooth as a babies bum.

There is a large tree nearby and I was wondering if it was pollen off of that? Something that makes me doubt it is the wax is that it's also on the windows and I never get any wax or spray near the windows. Wondered if anyone had any ideas or had encountered this before?? Dunno whether to rewash the car again on Saturday and try a G3 claymitt to get rid of the dots. Will claying again be bad for the car?

Thanks all.
Trev

Hi Trev,

An interesting one. Seeing as you used a QD you should have eliminated most of the water marks, and staying in the shade is crucial but even in decent heat you can get water spots on in the shade. Don't think that's the issue though.

One thing it could be is very small hard baked tar stains. Have you ever used a purpose built tar remover as part of your routine. Although clay bars do take a lot of this off, we'd always recommend going round the car with a tar remover before to at the very least loosen up those baked on stains before a clay routine. I'd be tempted to try this personally (although without pics I'm guessing from your descriptions) - this would also take off any light marks from the falling trees.

The G3 claymitt is very good, but using the clay you mentioned should have done the job just as well. The mitt is more of a time saver than anything else, used properly the mitt vs a normal clay should produce the same results. I wouldn't recommend excessive claying, this can lead to marring - usually only something to be undertaken once every 6 - 8 weeks and normally followed up with some polishing to take light scratches/swirls out or glazing if you are just looking to mask the afore mentioned.

I'm not sure if I've helped too much there, but before trying anything drastic - perhaps try a tar remover as part of your wash routine this weekend.

Cheers,

Matt.

Reactions: Trevolly