Rear Wiper washer feed

mango2.0T

Reaction score
Hi all,

Would appreciate some guidance on this one. Decided today was going to be a good day to do a standard car check (oil, fluids and such). Found my rear wiper wasn't spraying any washer fluid. Odd. Read around on the subject and from what I've found its probably the washer fluid feed has degraded/uncoupled from the wiper motor and so it needs reattaching. OK no problem, popped off the rear trim and found the motor and tested out the washer to see where it was leaking out...It wasn't where I was expecting.
3Yu4E6K.jpg

I found the leak to be coming out from inside the wiper motor (in the join between the outer metal plate and the plastic casing, see 1). It also slowly leaked out of area 2, but at a much slower rate. When the boot was closed, no leaking occurred, it only came out when I opened the boot fully and let gravity do the work. Is this normal? Is this something I can still fix or am I going to need a new wiper motor? :/

I'd go with a new wiper motor. had to replace one recently myself, if was leaking like yours was. the issue being that wiper fluid is corrosive and it will actually start eating the motor from inside out. I only noticed after my wiper kept turning its self on and refused to turn off

Thanks deerhater. I was worried as much. Looking at a few non-oem replacements that I can pick up tomorrow to fix whilst I still have a day before work.

QuxE5Nd.jpg
a7JQBZ5.jpg

Just updating this for no real reason other than to show anyone interested what the inside of a knackered wiper motor looks like when washer fluid is leaking inside of it!

I may have this problem, I've recently noticed that my rear wiper wasn't working when turning it on (haven't really used it, since bought the car). Then when spraying the rear wiper I noticed no water was coming out other then a tiny splash. Toped up my washer fluid and been spraying, today was dry and when I opened my boot I saw a few drips drop from the lock part of the boot lid. How much for the new wiper motor? just in case I need one.

Also how many screws are in the boot trim that you need to remove to get to it?

Easiest to replace the motor - pretty simple DIY job although suggest getting hold of a wiper-arm puller tool to get the wiper arm off the motor...
Bought a Valeo wiper motor from Amazon in the end for £70 and picked up a Wiper Arm Puller along the way too.
Amazon product

Amazon product

May also be worth changing the rear wiper blade & arm at the same time as it saves worrying about not damaging the old one when you're removing it. Remember to keep the nozzle though when you take it apart as you'll need to refit it to the new arm/motor.

I'd get an OEM wiper motor, I got one of these valeo ones from euro car parts when mine needed replacing and the sound of it when used overpowered the radio and it didn't work properly, took it back and paid an extra £17 for the oe one and it works perfect and is quiet... Oh and the wiper arm on mine came off with a good old pull and wiggle.

My wiper arm doesn't move. I took of the boot trim that looks like it's been removed previously as the 2 screws were missing. Here's a video of mine leaking. It leaked after spraying, both when closed and when open and it seemed to be the same as the op's.

I don't have any needles, do you think poking the nozzles on the base of the wiper blade may help/unblock the holes and then work?

Oh yeah where can I get the rear wiper puller from? On my old A3 it was a nightmare to remove the rear wiper. Do you have to take the rear wiper off first before removing the wiper motor inside the boot?

remove the cap at the base of the wiper arm and the nozzle just pulls of with the jets in it , blow through it in reverse its probably full of crud . as for the pulller you can get them at most motorist centres ,ebay ,amazon etc around a tenner .

yes wiper arm has to be removed before motor removal

if your strugglng to remove the arm try filling around the spindle with cocacola . the real one . sounds daft but pulled injectors out this way as the acid burns the crud away

Sounds similar to what happened to me. In my case it was a brand new wiper motor fitted. Although whilst the wiper blade is off, i would take a safety pin and scrape out any gunk in the little 90 degree rubber nozzle that fits on the washer jet. I fitted the new motor once before I did this and it was still not washing so that's when I checked.

I snagged an OEM new washer off eBay for around £80

Yeah get a new wiper motor definately, that's why your wiper isn't moving and like said above pull the little jet off and clean it while your at it as they always get clogged up

the issue being that wiper fluid is corrosive and it will actually start eating the motor from inside out.

I fear that this has happened to mine annoyingly, as my rear wiper arm moves but no spray has been coming out for the past couple of months and there isn't any leaks in the engine bay, passenger foot well or boot lid. I dipped a metal strand in some vinegar and pushed it into the two small jet holes to see if dirt had blocked it up, but when I tried spraying, only a very small amount of brown liquid just dribbled out.

I'm tight for money at the moment and don't fancy spending £100 on a new motor. The smooth appearance of de-wipered S3 (with a glass grommet) does appeal to me, especially as I've debadged the rear Audi rings, so I'll this opportunity to do it. I'll use rain x after and the car gets cleaned every couple of weeks anyway so vision won't be a problem.

After a lot of digging around I found that post 24 (by Farhan) on the following thread is a good tutorial for removing the wiper arm & motor which can also be applied to changing the motor as well for anyone interested http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/wiper-delete-help.156882/

Last edited:
just remove the black cap at the base of the motor ,then remove the plastic washer jet its just a push fit . clean that out and while its off ,try using rear washer . if you get good flow then its just the jet that's blocked .