Dirty front wheels

wiggsy

Reaction score
Hello all, just abit of an observation and a question really.

I'm finding my front alloys are changing from diamond cut to Matt black very quickly in a weekly basis from break dust yet the re wheels seem uneffected..

I thought being that the car is pads and discs all around that all wheels would be equally dirty? This reminds me of the old days when I had front discs and re drums...

More braking force on front pads. Larger pads = more dust! Mine do it too. I thought it was just because it's new. 1000 miles in still just as messy as brand new

Don't get me wrong it comes off but if left more than a week it looks like I'm rolling on powder coated fronts lol

Same here also think this happens more so with S-Tronic as there's less engine braking.

Gonna drop some EBC Yellow Stuff pads in mine next month.

Just had mine serviced (19,000 miles) and both front and rear pads are 10% worn On any car front wheels will be dirtier than rears and dont think it was anything to do with braking force or pad wear......

my explanation is.....when driving in a straight line especially on damp or wet roads the front wheels will go over the dirty road first leaving the rear wheels to go over he same piece of ground which is cleaner as the front wheels have already dispersed the muck

Well l have got say my fronts are always far cleaner looking than the rears,the rears get covered in the crap from the fronts in wet weather,l try to use the gearbox in manual all the time.its never in Auto....never even tried Launch Control Yet...............lol

Everytime I clean, it's the same order:

Front right; mega dirty
Front left; dirty
Rear right; dirty
Rear left; barely anything

Strange (about the back)

Reactions: mjcourtney
Well l have got say my fronts are always far cleaner looking than the rears,the rears get covered in the **** from the fronts in wet weather,l try to use the gearbox in manual all the time.its never in Auto....never even tried Launch Control Yet...............lol

For me, a launch a day..... haha

Reactions: Jassyo06
Just had mine serviced (19,000 miles) and both front and rear pads are 10% worn On any car front wheels will be dirtier than rears and dont think it was anything to do with braking force or pad wear......

my explanation is.....when driving in a straight line especially on damp or wet roads the front wheels will go over the dirty road first leaving the rear wheels to go over he same piece of ground which is cleaner as the front wheels have already dispersed the muck
Well that's not the case with mine, or any of the other cars I've had with aluminium wheels. Always black brake dust - lots dirtier on the front.

Well l have got say my fronts are always far cleaner looking than the rears,the rears get covered in the **** from the fronts in wet weather,l try to use the gearbox in manual all the time.its never in Auto....never even tried Launch Control Yet...............lol
Why didn't you buy a manual then?

Two aspects to your observation - brake performance (covered by the posts above) and the aesthetic. If you are concerned by the dirt give the wheels a good clean, wax them and then give them two or three coats of Poorboys wheel sealant. The dirt can then largely be just be hosed off without the need for acidic wheel cleaners for six months or so before re-treatment. It is a bit of work to apply the Poorboys but it saves a lot of wheel cleaning later.

I can't believe people still use acid on their wheels.

Valet pro bilberry and dragons breth for them stubborn ones - at least its not acidic!

Reactions: mjcourtney
My wheels seem surprisingly easy to keep clean. They do get a load of brake dust on them. I always give them a really good dose of Citrus Prewash, then do the rest of the car. Then thorough jetwash. After finishing the car body I then shampoo the wheels (use wheel woolies - brilliant but ridiculously expensive - birthday present from daughter). I use a different mitt for the wheels, arches and sills.
They seem to clean up perfectly at the moment. I'm sure they will get worse later, and I do intend to take the wheels off and clean and seal them sometime, if I get the time.

This is the worst car I've owned

For brake dust on the front wheels.

:)

Reactions: Rob2k68
It's the best I have ever owned - largely down to driving style I suspect - my Jag XF-S was terrible

Just treated mine with gtechnic C5. Takes around 45 minutes to clean, prep and protect each wheel, but the previous application lasted around 12 months so easily worth it.

Will finish off with Colonite 476s Wax tomorrow once the C5 has cured, should really stop the dust sticking and make cleaning even easier.

This is about the best treatment I've found to help keep the S-line standard wheels looking good for more than 2 days at a time!