8P S3 disk and pad replacements?

Y111_PJL

Reaction score
After going around Croft on Saturday my pads and disks are completly shot. Really bad judddering under heavy braking. Warped perhaps?

Any suggestions and experience on which disk and pad combos work well for fast road / track?

After going around Croft on Saturday my pads and disks are completly shot. Really bad judddering under heavy braking. Warped perhaps?

Any suggestions and experience on which disk and pad combos work well for fast road / track?

What's the current spec of the car and brakes?

Ok.
That's asking a lot of the stock brakes to be honest as its a heavy car.

There are plenty of good alternatives with the RS kit probably being the cheapest.

If you want something good then I can recommend the APRacing kit with something like Mintex 1155 pads or APs own.

Ferodo DS2500s will turn to chocolate after some heavy stops.

If you want really expensive then Alcon are superb.

Don't forget to at least uprate the rear pads or the car will try to chase its tail.

Forge are making what looks like a good kit for both front and rear on the S3 as well.

Thanks Alex,

So are you saying that even the standard callipers can't cope properly with the power and weight of the car?
As a short term fix I was just wanting to keep the standard callipers but upgrade the disks and pads to something a little more worthy of what was being asked of them on country roads and the track.

I did have a set of RS calipers on eBay, but was out bid at the last minute!
Was also looking into the Brembo 18Z callipers which are quite pricey, once youve added the disks and pads needed.

Will have a proper look at what you have suggested tonight.

Cheers.

Thanks Alex,

So are you saying that even the standard callipers can't cope properly with the power and weight of the car?
As a short term fix I was just wanting to keep the standard callipers but upgrade the disks and pads to something a little more worthy of what was being asked of them on country roads and the track.

I did have a set of RS calipers on eBay, but was out bid at the last minute!
Was also looking into the Brembo 18Z callipers which are quite pricey, once youve added the disks and pads needed.

Will have a proper look at what you have suggested tonight.

Cheers.

What I'm getting at is that the stock items are really heavy(discs and calipers weight twice as much as most aftermarket kits),and the entire combo is very prone to fade and overheating.

I think if you're not going to do trackdays,it will cope,but a trackday saw my previous setup of VWR discs,calipers and Ferodo DS2500 pads give up as well,prompting a swap to AP rotors and Mintex 1155 pads.

Thanks again Alex,

I've noticed they fade quite badly, even on little drives out.
Definitley looking into getting a bigger set up now!

Well, less than a week later and these turned up

Reactions: s3_trev
Looking good, been looking at this kit also and maybe some better disks and pads for the rear.

Very nice! Mind me asking where you got them from ? Youll have to post up what you think of them, im also looking for a big brake kit haha!

Seeing a lot of the forge kit recently. Would really love to know your thoughts on them mate.

Very nice! Mind me asking where you got them from ? Youll have to post up what you think of them, im also looking for a big brake kit haha!
One of the lads on the forum had them up for sale! Just managed to grab them before anyone else haha.

Seeing a lot of the forge kit recently. Would really love to know your thoughts on them mate.
I'll let you all know once they're on... Unfortunately my car got crashed into today. So the brakes are on the back burner at the minute

Finally managed to get the Forge 6 pots on... They're a tight squeeze with the offset of the wheels, but they fit!

Haven't had the chance to test them out properly yet, but will feedback once I have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    899.6 KB · Views: 122
****** hell that is tight! Id be looking into fitting spacers if i was you, if the callipers expand when they get hot that could cause issues, what offsett are your wheels ?

This is with a spacer! Haha.

Wheels are ET50 and there's a 5mm spacer on. Might look into getting a 10mm spacer... Then I'm gonna have to put something larger in the rear to even out the tyre to arch gap, thoughts?

An extra 5mm ontop of that will be plenty, it might be ok as it is but only time will tell haha.
Id personally want another 2-3mm of clearance,

Whatever size spacer you run on the front put the same on the rear just so geometry etc all matches up

Once the car is up and running properly (fingers crossed tomorrow!) I'll take it out for a proper drive up to kielder.

Car needs a full four wheel alignment anyways like.