16-17 inch aftermarket rims?

drummerdimitri

Reaction score
I may change my stock 18 inch wheels if I find the ride harsh on my S3 once I receive it so in the meantime wanted to know what are my 16 or 17 inch options in the aftermarket? Audi has 17 inch rims that will fit an S3 but their 16 inch wheels are less wide than the larger options so I wanted to know if that would work or if I must find aftermarket rims of that size that will fit the car.

What do you guys think?

16 inch wheels won't fit over the S3 brakes, just had a quick look and they seem to be 340mm front and rear. ?

Karl.

I'd recommend trying before you buy if possible because the improvement in ride quality may not be as large as you hope for.

I've swapped wheels on loads of cars and the difference is rarely more than minor.

IIRC the A3 17" wheels are slightly heavier than the S3's 18" lightweight rims and unsprung weight is the enemy of ride quality as much as the tyre sidewall height. So if you do want to swap then find the lightest 17" wheels you can.

Maybe you could consider a set of 17" rims with winter wheels which you can use for 4-5 months of the year and keep the 18"s for summer months, I have always found winter tyres offer a better ride.

A stiffly sprung car will always ride hard...the best you can hope for is a slight improvement.

Also, remember the likely insurance hike for a modification.