Running in a new A3

I

Ignition1

This has probably been discussed to death, but it's an interesting topic.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/general-advice/running-in-a-new-car.html

I came across that article above. It notes that for petrol engines you should rev between 3,000 and 4,000 RPM for the first 1000 miles. Also avoid changing gear too early.

On my A3 1.4 COD - the S Tronic changes up at about 2.5k/3k RPM...which is below that number. I didn't get any advice from Audi on this as the car was driven to me by someone who I think was employed purely as a driver for that particular showroom.

Did Audi give you any advice when collecting your A3? What do you all do to run it in? Drive slow? Rev high? Kick the tyres?

Just drive it carefully with a bit more mechanical sympathy than you normally would.

Personally I'm not going to go above 4000rpm until its done 1000 miles, and not above 2000rpm until the oil is at 90c. Simple.

Since I had a 100 mile motorway journey home from the dealer, I made sure I did a few hard accelerations from <2000rpm upto 4000rpm and let the car engine brake to help seat the rings nicely. I also switched to manual mode every so often to stay in 5th instead of 6th to vary the RPM's a bit.

Thanks. I'll probably use manual and take it up the revs a bit more.

Did Audi give you any advice on running in?

The dealer just said try and take it steady for 500 miles or so. Just vary the RPM's and don't think too much about it :)

The only advice they gave me was don't drive it hard until its fully warmed up. But other than that, enjoy it!

On my A3 1.4 COD - the S Tronic changes up at about 2.5k/3k RPM...which is below that number.

Yes, it shifts too soon in D mode and revs too high in S mode. I used manual mode/paddle shifters during the run in period to allow me to vary the revs and get them higher but not too high, per the recommendations in those other threads.

I just took it very easy for the first 500 miles, increased the revs a bit for the next 500 and now I just drive normally. My salesman said it didn't need to be run in but I still took it easy. I read in the manual not to exceed 2/3 of the maximum during the first 1500km