What shoul I do ?

Zache

Reaction score
Basically I want to get my s3 8l to 300bhp it's currently 245bhp due to a remap ,I would like to stick to cost to a minimal and the mods to be simpl , but if this isn't possible then that's fine
,,,, thanks

Not possible if on a tight budget... healthy engine and very healthy std K04's can (on very rare occasions) make 300hp with all the mods and a prayer... they are also pretty much on the edge at that point too so reliability is questionable... power typically peaks at around 5000rpm so its still a little weazy compared to other turbo setups..

Most these days manage 280 ish tops with the standard stage 2 set of upgrades... 3" DP, 80mm TIP, FMIC etc... (and arguably rods)

Don't get hung up on a power figure, fit the mods you can afford (preferably the stuff I listed as a minimum) then get a custom map...

Should you have budget at a later date then you can start looking at hybrids but this will also require rods, bigger injectors, exhaust manifold, exhaust system and WMI... you can at least still use the previous round of mods with it though...

This is all assuming your engine is healthy of course... most aren't...age and mileage are starting to play a big part in tuneability these days and no mileage is exempt...

Tuning and "cost to a minimal" are not things that go hand in hand

<tuffty/>

Reactions: scotty_24 and Zache
First thing you need to decide is the budget mate.

Give us an idea of your budget, and how much work you'll be able to do yourself, or how much you'd need a garage to do, then we can advise what's possible within the budget

Reactions: Zache and <tuffty/>
Well mine is a high miler 150k , I don't have a budget as such just don't want to go silly , I've been looking at decat and down pipe Wich I belive could add 15 hp Wich will get me closer to my goal of 300hp

lol, this is exactly where I am at the moment. Do I go with the few straight forward bolt ons or go for rods, hybrid, mani etc etc.

What I've come to is
Go for the bits that tuffty has mentioned and get to 280BHP
OR change rods, turbo, mani, DP etc etc and go for well over 300.

Wellycooler is cheap as chips and is quite fun (sad I know) to fit, Downpipe is also faitly cheap but requires someone good on the tools to fit it.

Make the most of what you have, rip out all the crap and simplify the PVC system, and for about £50 of bits fit a catch can. Eliminated boost leaks from that area, less leaks more power.
Badger5 turbo intake pipe is the best bang for buck in terms of costs vs gains (in my opinion).
With all that done providing the engines healthy, take it to someone who knows what they are doing and get a custom map done.
You just need to decide how far you want to go, I bought mine and just wanted a remap, 4 years later im booked into badger5 in a fortnight to get a custom map having fitted rods, Beach buggy turbos hybrid, WMI, manifold etc etc.

Slipery slope!

300hp is still the exception rather than the rule... don't get hung up on this figure...

K04's only flow around 280hp or air... the rest of the power is from keeping the engine cool and happy so it will take timing advance (free power) and not pull it all out again...

Get the engine compression tested and do a leak done test too... I have seen engines with over 150k do ok on power and ones which much less do very badly... hugely subjective...

If the engine is tired all the bolt on kit in the world isn't going to make it better and produce power...

As I have already said... forget 300hp... its unrealistic... aim to get the best out of what you have by buying the prerequisite bolt ons or spank the cash and get the engine freshened etc for a hybrid...

The bolts are easy to budget for... they are a known commodity and there are plenty of threads with examples you can read up on (and of course read the FAQs)

The other costs are down to your competency with spanners... labour will greatly increase the budget requirements

<tuffty/>

Reactions: scotty_24