My S4 thread

As I say, always been about the American muscle which is probably why the RS' appeal to me, big powerful brutes! I do like the octavia myself but the amount I see located around me puts me off a little.

I think I agree, I would like to get my finances in order first as well really, but I'm sure you know the temptation! I'm engaged now, renting a house together and she owns horses so we have a lot of expenses we should tidy up first really. I'm a fool though, especially with money!

I agree with the age comments, I think I've got plenty of pathetic moments in my driving past that help me stay straight. I never consider overtaking on A roads unless it's absolutely straight, and I try to manage my corners that I don't know that well but as you say, systems won't always save you and I try to consider this. I don't consider myself a boy racer, I think it's what drove me to the avant as opposed to something like an ST.

I like your logic, as with the way the economy is going less people will be able to afford such cars as an S4 and may do what I have done and go for a faster A4. When at the dealership I had the choice between an '06 (or around) S3 Saloon or this, I just knew it had to be this.

I'll certainly be watching this space, I'm a bit antsy about modifying this car as I do need to sell it at some point so this forum seems like a great way to experience S4's and modified A4's without changing my own!

Reactions: scotty76 and V6_Man
Just to keep my own thread up to date. I had the passenger side Xenon headlight go this week. Car is 3 1/2 years and 24k miles at this point. Given the bulb is £100+ I thought I'd see how Audi felt about a warranty replacement. I expressed my surprise and disappointment at a bulb failure so soon. They made grumbling noises about bulbs being just one of those things but asked me to bring it in which I did. Estimate should I have to pay was £250-300. I asked them to take a quick look and make a call on the warranty or not. They replaced the bulb under warranty and sent me on my way. No paperwork but they said new bulb.

Either way I'm happy with the outcome.

Reactions: RS5 JON, Bristle Hound, V6_Man and 1 other person
Great news. Was that the dealer you purchased the car from?

Reactions: scotty76
Reactions: andyay123 and Bristle Hound
Good to know. I must admit that I probably wouldn't have tried asking for a warranty replacement, but now I'll keep it in mind...

Reactions: Bristle Hound and scotty76
Not updated for a while. The car is just about to tick over 4 years old next month. The extended warranty is about to expire so it's having one last service at the dealers plus S Tronic oil change. Current mileage is approx 27.5k but I think at 4 years old I'm keen to do the gearbox oil change.

Rear tyres are getting replaced on Friday in advance of the MOT. There's probably a bit over 2mm left on the original factory fit Pirelli P7 tyres but given the new rules on the MOT I'm not chancing a "no drive away fail" and Audi taking the p*ss. I'm replacing like for like as I've had no issues with the P7s on the standard 18" wheels. I'm aware quattro tyres are supposed to be replaced all 4 at once but I'm afraid I'm not doing that (stand down you pedants waving the manual :D ). £122 each is the damage from my local trusted tyre guys.

I'll post the service invoice once it's done. Thankfully as it's over 3 years old we're into the fixed price service menu.

I've considered extending the warranty again but in reality I'll have one last price check and then likely duck out. My local indie is effective and charges fairly. 3D Transmissions in Reading is near enough should any gearbox issues arise which is the only minor concern.

Reactions: jdp1962
As an aside just catching up on the B9 forum and noticed someone talking about the comments their S4 gets. No one has ever commented on my car which is why I love it. Perfect Q Car.

(I do actually get one comment but it's from the neighbours "are you washing it again?" :) )

Reactions: Bristle Hound, V6_Man and jdp1962
Mine will get its 3-year service in a couple of weeks' time, at 25,000 miles. Engine oil & filter change, S-Tronic oil & filter change, first MOT, and fitting of a Forge Motorsport air intake pipe.

Reactions: V6_Man and scotty76
As an aside just catching up on the B9 forum and noticed someone talking about the comments their S4 gets. No one has ever commented on my car which is why I love it. Perfect Q Car.

(I do actually get one comment but it's from the neighbours "are you washing it again?" :) )
This, plus one. :)

They must be living in an area where S4 might be the only decent car they have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not updated for a while. The car is just about to tick over 4 years old next month. The extended warranty is about to expire so it's having one last service at the dealers plus S Tronic oil change. Current mileage is approx 27.5k but I think at 4 years old I'm keen to do the gearbox oil change.

Rear tyres are getting replaced on Friday in advance of the MOT. There's probably a bit over 2mm left on the original factory fit Pirelli P7 tyres but given the new rules on the MOT I'm not chancing a "no drive away fail" and Audi taking the p*ss. I'm replacing like for like as I've had no issues with the P7s on the standard 18" wheels. I'm aware quattro tyres are supposed to be replaced all 4 at once but I'm afraid I'm not doing that (stand down you pedants waving the manual :D ). £122 each is the damage from my local trusted tyre guys.

I'll post the service invoice once it's done. Thankfully as it's over 3 years old we're into the fixed price service menu.

I've considered extending the warranty again but in reality I'll have one last price check and then likely duck out. My local indie is effective and charges fairly. 3D Transmissions in Reading is near enough should any gearbox issues arise which is the only minor concern.

I have read and re-read this post several times now but I can't help but feel that something is missing. Once a warranty (in this case extended) on a B8 S4 expires, the temptation to get an engine remap (and stage 2 better - because we all know about the OE crank pulley problem) is simply overwhelming. Only someone with superhuman willpower could avoid that temptation...

Reactions: jdp1962 and andyay123
I have read and re-read this post several times now but I can't help but feel that something is missing. Once a warranty (in this case extended) on a B8 S4 expires, the temptation to get an engine remap (and stage 2 better - because we all know about the OE crank pulley problem) is simply overwhelming. Only someone with superhuman willpower could avoid that temptation...

I have a monthly rolling extended warranty however, as you mention, temptation has got the better of me!!! Stage 1 tomorrow

New Pirelli P7 AO version fitted to the rears. These replaced the factory fit originals which lasted 27.5k. Fronts lasted 16.5k so I'm happy with that. They work well in wet and dry so suits me fine. Note I have 18" wheels the 19"s found on the Black Edition are a different discussion. They seem more prone to tramlining.

Paid the road tax at £290. Tyres were £244 for the pair. Service on Monday.... expensive fortnight. :)

Reactions: andyay123
New Pirelli P7 AO version fitted to the rears. These replaced the factory fit originals which lasted 27.5k. Fronts lasted 16.5k so I'm happy with that. They work well in wet and dry so suits me fine. Note I have 18" wheels the 19"s found on the Black Edition are a different discussion. They seem more prone to tramlining.

Paid the road tax at £290. Tyres were £244 for the pair. Service on Monday.... expensive fortnight. :)
June's going to be pricey for me, too. Next, week, it's getting a detail and new ceramic coating, £450, the week after, MOT, service and ATF change, £450, new road tax, £250 (I think, but might be £290). Oh, and there's the small matter of the £19k balloon payment to make it all mine. :thumbs up:

Feel your pain @jdp1962. Should have said £463.43 is the service quote which is: service, MOT and S-Tronic oil change. This is Audi fixed price plus 1/2 price MOT from local dealer.

Detailing will have to wait much as I love it. Ceramic coating (Kamikaze ISM coat) will be 2 years old in October so will take a view then.

What ceramic coating are you going for @jdp1962?

June's going to be pricey for me, too. Next, week, it's getting a detail and new ceramic coating, £450, the week after, MOT, service and ATF change, £450, new road tax, £250 (I think, but might be £290). Oh, and there's the small matter of the £19k balloon payment to make it all mine. :thumbs up:
Feel your pain @jdp1962. Should have said £463.43 is the service quote which is: service, MOT and S-Tronic oil change. This is Audi fixed price plus 1/2 price MOT from local dealer.

Detailing will have to wait much as I love it. Ceramic coating (Kamikaze ISM coat) will be 2 years old in October so will take a view then.

@jdp1962 @scotty76 - You guys are kinda making me feel happy I sold my S4, I think ... :bye:

GTechniq

@Bristle Hound , the S4 costs less to service and maintain in real terms than the 1976 Opel Ascona 1.9SR that was my first car back in 1984. :)
No doubt very true my friend
Just thinking back to how much my Mini 1275GT & Allegro SSS cost me & I can see where your coming from

@jdp1962 has a point. Road tax aside the S4 is cheaper to service than my 2003 Leon Cupra was. For what it is I think the S4 is good value.

Reactions: Bristle Hound

Ouch! Tis a pricey month @jdp1962 but then just as one thinks one will be able to save some next month there comes a bill out of nowhere.

Finally going to order the discs and pads (all four) on the S4 which will be replaced in couple of weeks. At the same time it is ATF change on both the S4 and missus' A3. And I just changed all four tyres on hers last month.

Yesterday was service day and the last likely to be done at the dealers as this is year 4 and the extended warranty is up. Here's the damage report and damage is the correct word. After 4 years of no dealer's washes in a fit of genius, ignoring my request on the service booking AND the bright yellow sign in the window they washed it. :( Just to confirm that one wash is all it takes to mess up your paint, as there are now fine scratches on the roof where a drying blade (I'd guess) has been used. Words fail me. It's a simple request backed up by a bright yellow sign. I will be emailing them to complain but I won't be letting them attempt to fix it as they will surely ask to. If this doesn't show why people don't trust the dealers I don't know what does. I'd say back to the indie network we go.

No mention of a gearbox filter either. Thought this version of the gearbox had one.

I'll try and post up my thoughts on 4 years with an S4 later.

Page 1
Page 2

Reactions: V6_Man
@scotty76 - Fell your pain buddy :(

Make 'em pay with a Pro-Detail from your Detailer is my advice

No mention of a gearbox filter either. Thought this version of the gearbox had one.
2nd item 0B5325330A is the gearbox oil filter

FYI I paid £474.41 for the same without the MOT (or the scratches), so that's just under £42 more. MDM Technik in Marlow, Bucks.

FYI I paid £474.41 for the same without the MOT (or the scratches), so that's just under £42 more. MDM Technik in Marlow, Bucks.
Worth the extra not to get the scratches.

Reactions: scotty76 and Bristle Hound
2nd item 0B5325330A is the gearbox oil filter

Thanks for the information on the filter.

Marlow is a touch far for me but thank you.

Here we are at 4 years old for my S4.

Stats (according to the DIS):
27,843 miles
33mph average speed (I sit in traffic a lot)
817h 27m driving time
28.5mpg

Service costs:
Year 1 £238.64
Year 2 £360.79
Year 3 £327.39
Year 4 £460.01 (S-tronic oil change done with this one)

The car has now had a complete set of 4 tyres plus 1 bonus one after I got too friendly with a large iron bollard. I only add the costs as when I was looking to buy one I struggled to find accurate information on how expensive it would be to run i.e. one kidney or both!

What do I think of it?

I still think the S4 is a great all rounder. It can be driven quickly, it cruises in traffic and it can lug kids and their kit. I don't find the fuel economy unreasonable for what it is. It's probably slightly better than I hoped for back when I bought the car. In those heady days I had a fuel card, now sadly long gone, so cared less about the cost. My plan is still to try and keep it to the year 8 mark, gearbox permitting. :) I think the only thing that might sway me is swapping to something the ACC (adaptive cruise control). I would not have believed how useful this is until my wife got a Golf which has it as standard. It really is great for traffic laden motorways.

Reactions: Keef, Carlos85 and V6_Man
Here we are at 4 years old for my S4.

Stats (according to the DIS):
27,843 miles
33mph average speed (I sit in traffic a lot)
817h 27m driving time
28.5mpg

Service costs:
Year 1 £238.64
Year 2 £360.79
Year 3 £327.39
Year 4 £460.01 (S-tronic oil change done with this one)

The car has now had a complete set of 4 tyres plus 1 bonus one after I got too friendly with a large iron bollard. I only add the costs as when I was looking to buy one I struggled to find accurate information on how expensive it would be to run i.e. one kidney or both!

What do I think of it?

I still think the S4 is a great all rounder. It can be driven quickly, it cruises in traffic and it can lug kids and their kit. I don't find the fuel economy unreasonable for what it is. It's probably slightly better than I hoped for back when I bought the car. In those heady days I had a fuel card, now sadly long gone, so cared less about the cost. My plan is still to try and keep it to the year 8 mark, gearbox permitting. :) I think the only thing that might sway me is swapping to something the ACC (adaptive cruise control). I would not have believed how useful this is until my wife got a Golf which has it as standard. It really is great for traffic laden motorways.
@scotty76 , is it worth checking feasibility of ACC as a retrofit? @NHN, one for you, maybe? :)

You've managed an average of 28.5mpg. I've only averaged 22.5mpg, but that's quite a bit of short town driving.
You must have a very light right foot .;-))

I agree, ACC is really good to have on motorways and stops me driving like other dickheads, only a few metres behind the car in front at 70mph.

@scotty76 - I agree with Jeff - worth finding out the cost to retrofit.

Also, what about your headlight washer jets? Both mine failed around 3 years 13K miles. Am I just unlucky?

Reactions: jdp1962, scotty76 and V6_Man
Also, what about your headlight washer jets? Both mine failed around 3 years 13K miles. Am I just unlucky?

Make it two

Yesterday was service day and the last likely to be done at the dealers as this is year 4 and the extended warranty is up. Here's the damage report and damage is the correct word. After 4 years of no dealer's washes in a fit of genius, ignoring my request on the service booking AND the bright yellow sign in the window they washed it. Just to confirm that one wash is all it takes to mess up your paint, as there are now fine scratches on the roof where a drying blade (I'd guess) has been used. Words fail me. It's a simple request backed up by a bright yellow sign. I will be emailing them to complain but I won't be letting them attempt to fix it as they will surely ask to. If this doesn't show why people don't trust the dealers I don't know what does. I'd say back to the indie network we go.

I'll try and post up my thoughts on 4 years with an S4 later.

View attachment 157224 View attachment 157225

. Four years and 27k miles of smiles . And make sure you get the money for paint correction. No mercy to them lot.

Reactions: jdp1962, Bristle Hound and scotty76
You've managed an average of 28.5mpg. I've only averaged 22.5mpg, but that's quite a bit of short town driving.
You must have a very light right foot .;-))
I am team Driving Miss Daisy. :D

Reactions: jdp1962, Bristle Hound, Keef and 1 other person