Polo GTI limp mode?

_Zerocool_

Reaction score
Not an audi topic I know but I thought I'd ask the question anyway as there are many in the know on here.

The Mrs has got a 2011 Vw Polo GTI.

She was vacuuming it yesterday using the 12v socket and the vacuum stopped working. Then she tried to start the car and it wouldn't start.

All the lights still shone bright and the radio worked etc so I was doubtful about a problem with the battery.

I tried to jump start it with mine and it wouldn't have it. (The battery is in the boot on hers which took some finding)

I had to call out a mechanic who managed to start it with a charging pack.

I took it out for a spin in the hope of charging the battery a bit.

The problem now is that it seems to be in limp mode. It won't rev over 4k (It red lines at 8)

When I tried to rev it over this it refused and the engine management light came on for a couple of seconds.

Any ideas? Would it go into limp mode after having a drained battery or is it something more serious? Overboosting?

Thanks!

Did the mechanic scan it for any faults at all, if not that would be the first thing I would get done, it may also be worth clearing any faults (after recording them) and see if this clears the problem.

Cheers for the reply nilz. No he didn't. He was just a recovery guy. Like the aa. I'm going to try and get it to the garage this afternoon. I hope I make it. Not overly impressed with this polo gti so far

Well I managed to get it to the garage still in limp mode and still not revving past 4k. It had 20+ faults showing. We cleared those and I took it for a spin but its still not revving past 4k. Checked it again and its showing a fault on the fuel inlet valve. Its still there :( On the plus side I managed to get a 60 plate Golf GTI 210 as a courtesy car. Maybe we should swap the Polo for one of those?

I presume the garage have it now and are sorting it for you?

Yeah they've got it. The fuel pump needs replacing. It also had no oil in the engine even though I topped it up two weeks ago! And the engine is making a strange squealing noise. Its not well.

Wow thats a fair bit going on there, hopefully you get it all sorted.

Think we're going to part ex it for the golf gti we have. I would strongly advise people to stay away from the polo gti. Too much power from a small engine maybe?

Oil consumption is a major problem on these :( I believe they revised the engine around 2011 some time, although some people have had no problems with older engines and some still have trouble with new ones!

Golf will be a much better option!