Wheels genuine or replicas? How to tell

Sammyt87

Reaction score
How do you tell if alloys are real Audi or replicas?
Looking on eBay for some 18s, some people list genuine and others just say they fit Audi.
Should they have an Audi stamp on the back or any codes?

Thanks all

As above.

Also, genuine A3 wheels are 7.5J ET54. Most aftermarket wheels will be 8J ET45.

if you have existing 18in wheels your tyres will fit the replicas but there will be no kerb protection as they will be 8j instead of 7.5 j they are heavier and a ****** to balance aswell i have made the grave mistake and wished i invested in genuine.

I currently have 225/45/17, I'm looking at putting 245/40/18. Will they fit straight on or be too wide?

@Sammyt87 you will need new wheels. At the moment your wheels are 17" in diameter but to fit 225/40/18 you need 18" wheels.

@Sammyt87 you will need new wheels. At the moment your wheels are 17" in diameter but to fit 225/40/18 you need 18" wheels.

I'm talking about wheels themselves not the tyres. I have 225/40/17 wheels now and I'm looking at 245/45/18 wheels will they be too wide or ok.

if the alloys you're looking at currently have 245/45/18, they may be 8.5j and off a TT or a6/a8 and the offset might be wrong

I'm talking about wheels themselves not the tyres. I have 225/40/17 wheels now and I'm looking at 245/45/18 wheels will they be too wide or ok.

Ah OK, just that you're providing the specs of the tyres not the wheels.

If you look at the back of the wheel, or ask the seller to send you pictures, the specs will be stamped there.

You're looking for something like '18x8.5J' and 'ET45'. The numbers will be different of course. If you can post that info here we can work out if the wheels will fit.

Another thing to look at is the size of the centre bore where it meets the hub.
Originals are 57.1 but reps will have a higher figure and will need spigots to fill in the gaps.
I hope that helps.

Reactions: discostu49 and Sayam
They look genuine to me.

Off a different car though, I know some TT and A4 wheels are 8J and ET43.

They look genuine to me.

Off a different car though, I know some TT and A4 wheels are 8J and ET43.

Ok thanks, getting them next week I'll let you'll know :)

Reactions: Sayam
Ok thanks, getting them next week I'll let you'll know :)

I do hope you have taken other advice and aren't just buying them because I said they look genuine to me?

I barely know my *** from my elbow :p

Reactions: Sammyt87
They're definitely genuine. The fact they split is a big give away!

Reactions: Sayam
Hi guys.. Will these fit my a3..

Offset 47

Rim width 8J

thats your tyre size which won't work on the A3. If 18s then you need 225/40/18.
245s are too wide and will rub badly on the arches, especially if you have the car lowered. i ran 235 once on temp alloys, the car was lowered on eibach sportlines and it would rub on any corner... really annoying

Reactions: Sammyt87
[QUOTE="Ash187, post: 2421257, If 18s then you need 225/40/18.
245s are too wide and will rub badly on the arches, especially if you have the car lowered. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advise, will there be any chance I can put 235s without giving it that camber look?

235s on et47 will work as long as the car isn't lowered.

Just to clarify could I put 235's onto these alloys that currently have 245's on.. Or is the alloy too wide itself?
Not intending on lowering the car.

245/45/18 I think they are off an A4 or A5 sline

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 188