Tailgate Locking Mechanism Issues

Albanach

Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help...the soft touch button which opens the boot seems to work intermittently which means I've to use the key to manually open the boot.
I've removed the internal trim and when I depress the button the motor 'fires' and drives the solenoid all the way in which is good but if I try immediately after the solenoid only goes in 3/4 of the way and if I repeat this the solenoid drives in less and less with each button push. The motor 'fires' each time so I figure it's not an electrical issue?? I'm going to take the solenoid unit off and see if I can clean it or see if there is an obstruction blocking it somehow. Has anyone experienced similar issues and has a fix?

Could this be linked to the common problem of the rear wiper motor failing due water ingress from the washer pipe?

I have a video of the above issue but unsure if I can upload to the forum?

It's a 2003 B6 Avant 1.9 TDI

Took the solenoid off and wd40 it but still having the same issue. After a search it coul be the micro switch for the opening mechanism - anyone any ideas how to access it?

Just giving this thread a bump as the issue is still ongoing. Definitely happens more often after the back of the car has been in direct sunlight!?

A mate just had this issue, the motor was moving the arm but not always enough resulting in the boot failing to open. He replaced the motor and it fixed the issue.

I've just fixed my friends boot, his was the oppisit to you though, boot was popping itself open by itself when driving. His was due to a leak in the 3rd brake light, it had caused the button to corrode and was stuck pushed in so the micro switch was constantly pushed. All the components In the boot are very easy to remove to replace, just take a photo before removing stuff so you know where it all goes.

A mate just had this issue, the motor was moving the arm but not always enough resulting in the boot failing to open. He replaced the motor and it fixed the issue.

Cheers Chris. Any idea of part number? You reckon it could be worth a try getting a replacement from a scrappy?

Out of interest was it only in prolonged sunlight as well? Only ask as my pal has an A5 saloon and his is acting up too!?

just add to this one, myself & a mate of mine both b6 avants have 'lazy' boot solenoids, if the car is sat with the sun beating on the tail gate my boot catch plays up, it doesn't fully open causing the boot to pop a bit but not enough to open! then it's stuck in that midway point...
from reading up we both need new solenoids, think my mate got one from audi for around £40 is I remember correctly, he also got a trim removing tool (don't know if that's needed or not)
He's yet to get round to changing his, I was going to wait for him to do it & then do mine lol...

just add to this one, myself & a mate of mine both b6 avants have 'lazy' boot solenoids, if the car is sat with the sun beating on the tail gate my boot catch plays up, it doesn't fully open causing the boot to pop a bit but not enough to open! then it's stuck in that midway point...
from reading up we both need new solenoids, think my mate got one from audi for around £40 is I remember correctly, he also got a trim removing tool (don't know if that's needed or not)
He's yet to get round to changing his, I was going to wait for him to do it & then do mine lol...

That's pretty much exactly the same as me although mine doesn't open at all but the solenoid doesn't seem to be the issue but at this stage I've no idea. I would be very interested in hearing how your mate gets on. I already have the trim off ready for the repair.

Where did you read about the solenoid being the issue?

I've read various threads on the boot solenoid problem..
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/2003-audi-a4-avant-boot-not-unlocking-solenoid-removal.156558/

that's one I came across quickly, but there are more dotted about, they quite often state it being particularly bad on hot days, which is how mine is.
It's been fine all winter & not had the problem yet, but last summer it was getting to me a bit of a pain!, it's 'pop' but was still catching, so couldn't open or close!..

Oh & I won't hold my breath about my mate doing his as I think he's had the part for about a year!

I replaced the solenoid in the boot with a part from a scrap merchant for €10 and the boot is working away perfectly...delighted

also experiencing this just now. Does anyone happen to have the part number for an avant actuator? This would enable me to hand over the part number at my local Finnish dealer and not try to explain what I need in Finnish.. which is tricky to say the least :)
cheers