S3 Saloon - seats?

Terminator x

Reaction score
Shortly to purchase the current S3 and have specced up the super sports seats over the standard jobbies but everyone seems to be trying to talk me out of it including the salesman! Are they really "just the same but with some quilted leather" or are they really a lot better than standard which I'm hoping they must be as an £800 extra
confused.gif

TX.

Edit - hello one and all :icon thumright:

I've read that they're supremely comfortable but I just couldn't bear to have them on account of how they look. I realise I'm part of a tiny minority, but I think quilted leather on any part of any car looks hideous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Liquidfusion-S3
Hello lol !!

Think it's something that everyone has an opinion on but only you can decide if they are for you.

They have electric lumbar and slightly larger bolsters over the standard seats and are full leather. Standard seats have 'velvet' like material where the SS seats have the quilted panels - there's lots on here about the velvet bits. I went for standard over SS seats but added the electric lumbar option. 3 main reasons for this the first being that I didn't want the larger bolsters as in my mind they will be more prone to wear and creasing and the second is that the SS seats don't look to have height adjustable head rests (could be wrong on this) and the third that I have a 3 1/2 year old who will be sitting in the back and as I plan on keeping the car a number of years I thought that the SS seats would block out a lot of his view in the back.

Not my choice either - not for that money for what you get over standard. Essentially, they are only the standard seats with quilting (not my choice), and slightly raised side bolsters over standard. I've never regretted not getting them and keeping the standard seats but I would suggest you opt for the lumbar support on the standard seats, that really is worthwhile - and a lot cheaper than £800.

I've got them in mine and wouldnt want anything else. In my opinion they really add something 'special' to the interior of the car.

Very comfy too :yes:

Edit: I do actually want something else.. That's the option bucket seats from the RS3. Hopefully going to get a set for the front

Last edited:
I watched a video review of someone who said everything was great about the S3 except the seats as they don't have enough support and you move around a fair bit. Granted this was probably some serious driving and not just the school run, but still it made me opt for the ss seats. Plus i like the look of them.

As for the Young one. They will love the ss seats. My son loved the recaros in my Focus RS when he was 3 and hated every seat since as he thought the RS was like a race car because of the seats haha

Reactions: mister.c. and Rob2k68
Compare these to the supers port seats in the RS models and they are incredibly inferior. There is a thread somewhere in this forum which shows it's exactly the same seat base with a different back. Go try an S3 with them in, I did and I couldn't tell they were anything different or worth £800. I put it towards my paint instead :)

Love them. Look good, very comfy, hold you well in the corners. It's all about your own preference, I'm not a fan of the standard seats at all (velvet - really??) and am glad I went with the s/s.

There are plenty of people on here with the opposite view, but they're all wrong of course......:D:p;)

Probably best try a test drive with both options, then go with what you prefer. At the end of the day it's your car, your money, and you'll be the one driving it, so the only opinion that really matters is your own.

Hope you enjoy your new car, whatever you go with.

I've got a bad back, and unfortunately the seats and driving position can rule out my car purchase if they cause me discomfort. I had to rule out an M135i and 335i/d because of the BMW MSport seats and driving position.

I can honestly say that the standard seats in the S3 (without lumbar) seem perfect for my back and I get no discomfort at all, and I also think they look good too. My only minor criticism is that they could hold you in better. I do like the electrically adjustable bolsters in BMW MSport cars.

I do like the look of the Audi super sport seats, but don't think I'd put £800 of my own money into them.

Coming from a guy who spent 4 years in a 8P S3 with proper buckets £2,000 odd option. I really do like the standards seats, very comfortable and sportive, never had any issues with them and not missed the buckets at all.

They did however look very cool and sports whereas the seats now look less sporty and more posh lol

Echo above comments they are not like the recaro's you could have in the 8P but they look nice and are worth it over the standard seats.

Standard Seats (Nappa or Alcantara) vs SSS

Construction-wise:
Same Seat Base
Same Seat Back (integrated headrests)
Same width on the seat back between the bolsters
The only difference is the side bolsters on the seat back - slightly more pronounced (not much in it) than the standard seats.

They are not in any way comparable to Recaro's etc.

Echo above comments they are not like the recaro's you could have in the 8P but they look nice and are worth it over the standard seats.

They do look fancy I'll give you that. I'm guessing buckets will be a option on the RS3.

Doubtful I'll spec them ever again though to be honest, 26 now I need some comfort.

I went for the Alcantara option as i found they hold you a bit better in the corners. I like the look of the SSS but couldn't justify the price. Only really wanted them as i had the diamond stitched seats in my Leon Cupra and they looked great.

It sadens me a wee bit that my wife has sportier seats in her Ibiza FR 1.2 DSG (optional alcantara)

Si.

Ha ha, so many conflicting replies :think:

Went with them in the end though ;) car should be here in a few months time, cant wait!

TX.

Reactions: Psyman79
I ordered SS Seats on my Saloon. Think they make the interior look and feel so much more special than the regular seats.

The cost? Just depends on you TBH, but I thought they were worth the extra money.

One thing I forgot to say and really noticed today when cleaning; the side bolsters really do get worn down, at 3k miles its looking almost like my previous 60k mile car. A bit of treatment should sort it (I hope!)

I have the standard seats, I suffer from a deteriorating spine and suffer almost constant back pain. I find the standard seats fine and very comfortable.
I cant see that I would find the super sports seats any more comfortable, I do not (on a personal basis) like the look of the super sports seats, quilting to me means 1980's car coats. But it is subjective and no one is wrong.

Reactions: Liquidfusion-S3
Once again a subjective view, but I think the SS seats set the S3 interior apart and do help to make feel like a very special place to be in. Yes I agree they aren't of the same quality as the RS5 RS6 but they are also not in the same £7000 price bracket. So all in all, a bit of a bargain!!

Once again a subjective view, but I think the SS seats set the S3 interior apart and do help to make feel like a very special place to be in. Yes I agree they aren't of the same quality as the RS5 RS6 but they are also not in the same £7000 price bracket. So all in all, a bit of a bargain!!

7K, jeez as bad as the B and O in the RS6 then

7K, jeez as bad as the B and O in the RS6 then
Sorry, I over exaggerated the price. They are £6,940 You can't believe it, if you specced those two items, that would be over 13k That’s the price of a car…….

SS all the way, found myself sliding around on standard seats when giving a demo S3 saloon some hammer on local country roads.
New S3 saloon with SS waiting at Emden, had SS on S4 saloon, would not be without them.
As others have stated it's everyone to their own.

Well i have driven a S3 in both SS seats and standard seats none compare to my full leather Recaro seats in my MK3 ST3 no where near,so in that respect it's no from Jassy,given the choice?l would just tick the Lunar Silver full leather box its free and far more classier looking than the costly SS seats,"even my son the salesman" that should be my "Avatar name" as i keep on quoting him says they aint worth it

Reactions: Rob2k68
Was in my top 3 of extras. Not worth the £800 but I'm glad I have them. Think they look great and they are extremely comfortable.

Not got SS seats but alcantara gives more grip than the smooth leather and I'm glad I went for it.

I'd only go for SS if the look floats your boat!

Reactions: Psyman79