A5 Sportback 3.0 tdi - uneven ride height + best lowering options?

VAG-Slag

Reaction score
Berkshire, Surry, Hampshire tri-intersect
Afternoon gents, first time in this neck of the woods for me!

My friend has a 3.0tdi sportback and the ride height is uneven at the rear, perhaps by 10/15mm or so... He claims that he's seen it on many A5's, he was even in an Audi show room the other week and said that the brand new ones there were the same. According to his accurate means of measurement he there was 2 fingers arch gap on one side compared to 2 on the other, and that was the ones in the show room.

Is this a known thing among A5 owners? . . Also he's asked me to look into his best options for lowering (only wants to go 2mm or so) I was going to suggest to him either a set of H&R springs (but even still i can't promise that'll cure the uneven ride height issue) or failing that perhaps some AP or H&R coilovers (depending on how much he wants to spend). Obviously then we can adjust the ride height accordingly.

Anyone got any first hand experience in these areas? Would be grateful if you could have your tuppence worth so we can work out his best options

Thanks in advance!

Lewis

Well I haven't noticed any unevenness on mine, although with that being said I haven't actively looked for it! I'm having a set of Eibach Pro Kits fitted this coming Friday, I've used them in the past and they are fantastic - they provide an OEM look of what should have come from factory. With that being said, if his is off kilter I wouldn't know myself if springs alone would cure it. Although more expensive, coil overs would be the only sure fire fix. Odd issue though, first time I've heard of it - Ill be taking a look at mine tonight!! Strange that Audi would release cars that are uneven new?

forgive me appearing a Pedant but trying to understand OP i Qoute... "there was 2 fingers arch gap on one side compared to 2 on the other" that to me says they are same height...or did he measure using different fingers? again not trying to extract the preverbial...genuine question ;)

Well it appears I can't edit my original post, but you know what I mean now..

Well I haven't noticed any unevenness on mine, although with that being said I haven't actively looked for it! I'm having a set of Eibach Pro Kits fitted this coming Friday, I've used them in the past and they are fantastic - they provide an OEM look of what should have come from factory. With that being said, if his is off kilter I wouldn't know myself if springs alone would cure it. Although more expensive, coil overs would be the only sure fire fix. Odd issue though, first time I've heard of it - Ill be taking a look at mine tonight!! Strange that Audi would release cars that are uneven new?

Thanks for your input, i've also used the Eibach kits in the past... Great kits!

My exact point re after market springs... I did a bit of a search about and came across a post on the a5oc.com page. Two people mention the same problem, one of them on H&R springs and one still on the standard springs.

The guy on the standard springs took his car to Audi under warranty, after performing various tests they concluded it was within acceptable tolerances. Here's the post if you want to have a read your self:
http://www.a5oc.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-tech/20478-uneven-ride-height.html

Thats really interesting, especially that Audi wouldn't rectify the issue.

In that case, I'd imagine the only fool proof resolution is a coil over system where he could adjust the height of each corner independently. Although expensive, it will resolve the issue and give him greater flexibility going forward. I'd imagine the issue is not the springs themselves, but something else. Although I might be completely wrong. Perhaps swopping the 2 back springs with each other and then seeing the result may be a start?