Please HELP!!

Last week when the chaps at Bubbles were jet washing the drivers window / door area I had a disconcerting amount of water dribble from the door handle trim!

its wet again,and it hasnt rained :( so peed off

its not washer fluid or coolant ive tasted it lol

just hope its gathered somewhere and its finding its way out.

doors are all ok.

if its soping wet again with the next down pour,the whole lots coming out.

Reactions: Patrick Evans
It sounds like you haven't completely dried it out and it's soaking back into the carpet from somewhere.When I did mine I took the carpet out completely to dry and left it out for a few days to see if any more water appeared. Also if it's not completely dry it will start to smell.

You need a dehumidifier to suck the moisture out (Stick in the car, close doors and leave for a few hours)........not a heater, as this will just evapourate the moisture and let it settle elsewhere in the car to then start all over again.

its too cold for a dehumidifier ive tried,i even combined it with a heater didnt work...the back bit which was the worst is stil dry as a bone.its the front which is wet.

and i fixed my broken rear wash pipe to find to motor leaks,do i need a new motor or is there a fix?

keckxv.jpg

This must be your car!!

Reactions: DrStrange and Ro55
if you can dry it out in the front again can you roll back the carpet as much as possible, then stick kitchen roll ****** everywhere under the dash, round the doors etc? Then go out regularly (even if you have to get up twice in the middle of the night) and see if there's evidence anywhere of wet kitchen roll. I did this on an S2 once and it led me straight to the problem.

There are a limited number of places that can produce water, especially when it's not raining and especially if it doesn't smell of coolant etc. I can't help thinking the AC would be a likely culprit, although it's difficult to figure out how if the car isn't running and the weather is cold. But the water doesn't smell/taste of anything right?

by the way have you at least left scathing feedback on ebay? Or was the transaction conducted outside ebay?

Stop carping on about it, this topic was a bit fishy from the start.

I know , i know but i couldn't resist.:undwech:

Reactions: Ro55
sometimes i wish it would sink lol...couldnt leave feedback was a classified advert.

i still havent found where its coming from,ive dried and then its wet again.
im going to put talc powderdown,failing that borrow a friends barn rip the lot out,and leave carpet out.

and that, younger boys and girls, is the result of a Bob Monkhouse inspired generation
(the fish related comments)

So it's getting wet even if there's no rain and even if the car isn't running, is that right?

yep about right ive tasted it and its deffo not coolant or washer fluid. its rained today so will check if its any wetter than yesterday.

:uhm: ****** sounds a weird one, hope you get to root cause :wtf:

Reactions: Ro55
on a good note i replaced the stat and sensor reaches 90 and stays there :audibash:

fixed the split pipe,rerouted it with silicone hose.but then found the wiper motor leaks :motz:

And to keep me sane im retro fitting bi xenon. :kissmyrings:

maybe if i keep improving her,the leak will diapear o_O

yes i just found the smiley lol,lots of them

Hi dude I know a place in Broseley, Stewart Upton Motors and he has just bought a smoke machine for detecting leaks. Worth a thought if you really can't find where the water's getting in?

You won't get the carpet dry while its still fitted to the car. You need to remove it and any sound deadening completely and stick them in your house somewhere.

The sunroof drains in my Mk4 Golf clogged up years ago and the only way I could dry it out was to stick it in the spare room for a week. Also this gives you a better chance of seeing where the water is coming in.

The carpet and sound deadening are all in one, i get what your saying but the back was soping wet,ive dried that with a heater and its still bone dry.top of the carpet is dry its just underneath. last resort is removing it all because its a big job.
so ill keep trying the drying option,windows are down a little with a heater and dehumidifier in.after a few hours the carpets dry say 5-7 hours.ive put newspaper under and put all my weight on it,there is no moisture.
but next day its not damp its WET as though someone has poured a small cup of water in there.
even when it hasnt rained

By process of elimination let's assume it's not rain because the carpet is wet even if it hasn't rained. Let's look at what sources of water are in the vehicle:
-Coolant/water mix. I know you said it doesn't smell/taste like coolant but just for a moment consider that the coolant is piped into the car, connected to the heater matrix and back out through the bulkhead again. Have you popped off the glovebox and/or the small shelf under the steering column to get better access?
-Washer fluid/water mix. Doesn't come into the cabin at any point. Or does it? I'm trying to remember the route it follows from engine bay to the rear. Does it run along the passenger's side under the door edge trim? Those trims are easy to pull up and check. This would at least make sense (if the pipe runs there) because it would be lower than the fluid reservoir, therefore gravity would pull water out even if you aren't activating the pump.
- A/C system. Produces water when cooling the car but not a huge amount. Is it possible that there is water trapped in the system and leaking? Does the A/C blow hot and cold ok?
- External sources - Unless you have a 5 gallon water bottle in the back seat with a leak I can't see it being something not pumbed into the car.

Am I missing anything? If we remove rain from the equation surely it has to be coolant or washer fluid?

At this point mate I think I would consider draining the coolant and also the washer fluid. If there is still water appearing overnight I would set up a camera to see if someone's ******* in it every night :) If it's dry I would refill one or the other and wait another night. Removing all potential sources of non-oil based liquid would be a good next step in my humble opinion.

Taking out the carpet would be a pain in the *** but you've already put in so much effort that you could waste a hell of a lot more. Check my threads for my recaro retrofitting guide. That should show you just about everything for removing the seats and trims.

Reactions: mister.c.
its deffo not coolant or washer fluid i topped up recently strong system has been drained and flushed new stat and sensor were fitted.so i know its not thaat as it woud taste horrid.

its good old rain water.or water not from the washer or cooling system.

ive got a theory.

whats almost the shape of a car mat that sits on top of the metal body of the foors?
almost like tar,it looks very odd like its lifting in places,and where the water runs from the drain holes passenger side,on the outside is very near where i think it could be leaking,i noticed earlier when lifting the bonnet after it rained.ill get some pics or even a video.

always passenger side,the rear passenger was soaked,all was dried at same time and the rear has stayed dry.thats why im certain its not the damp carpet just becoming damp again.if that was the case,the rear would be damp too.

its definatly in the front,ive sealed pollen filter and ecu.

its always wet at very bottom of the floor.never on sides or around.which is why i reckon it could be seeping through the tar like matting.

Hi dude I know a place in Broseley, Stewart Upton Motors and he has just bought a smoke machine for detecting leaks. Worth a thought if you really can't find where the water's getting in?

ill give them a ring cheers

It sounds like it's not fully dry! Is it dry up behind the dash on passagers side? The mat shaped hard tar thing on the footwell floor is sound damping.

its been bone dry 3 times now,i really hope your right. the talc ive just put down will tell all.as carpet is lifted and dry.
talc with reveal where its from as half a bottle is in the passenger footwell lol.

Reactions: fourcircle
Good luck mate. This one is a puzzler for sure. Even if you're right about where you think the leak is I can't work out where the water would be coming from is it hasn't rained :wtf:

its certainly testing me,i nearly drained the petrol earlier from the mower ;)

Reactions: fourcircle
Hard to say because of the original find,it was soaking,but everytime its back wet its about the same,
I hope your right and ill run up and down any street naked if im wrong.
The rear was soaking i mean like really wet.i dried that out in less time i did the front,and its bone dry even now as we speak.

Its even harder to say also because im drying it out evertime its wet.if it were damp still in the carpet the rear the wettest bit would be damp like the front surely?

This is why i think the leaks in the front because thats what getting wet first.

Is there any holes under the soundproofing tar stuff?

There might be a gromet under it but as I haven't taken it out its only a guess. You might be able to see from underneath. I am thinking it might be the foam/sound damping behind the dash that's wet from ur blocked drain plugs and each time you dry the floor it soaks up a bit more.

yeah could be talc will show that...its been that warm in there im able to remould the tar/soundproofing

the black foam is on the bulk head is dry and always has been.never wet behind it either.