Ajs Avant

The trims I think you really have to see them in person to see the colour flip, for a few hours work they've really lifted my interior. Glad I smoothed the ashtray too, makes it less fussy.

Personally I think anthracite wheels on a silver car look superb Steve, not too dark tho.

See now that you've got your flip trims...... can I have your carbon ones if they ever show up?!? :p

Absolutely amazing thread ! Pure inspiration , keep up the awesome work dude

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5
See now that you've got your flip trims...... can I have your carbon ones if they ever show up?!? :p

Not quite sure whats happening there yet, guys not even responding to emails now. I raised a Paypal dispute at the weekend and filed a BBB complaint, still really want the trims tho so hopefully they'll spurn him into action.

Absolutely amazing thread ! Pure inspiration , keep up the awesome work dude

Thanks mate!!

That looks great a lot better toned down and now the red great trim has gone, the full car looks amazing

Awesome, thanks guys!!

Finally plucked up the courage to do this today,

To fit these, always loved red belts and thought this was the ideal car so went for it. Didn't enjoy dismantling the Recaro rear to fit the rear central one but turned out to be a piece of ****. When I was looking into them I discovered that they were actually a £1500 option on the RS4, Probably a Marmite mod for some but I love them!!!

Managed to pick up a RS4 pedal set from another forum member, bitch to fit but tidys them up.

Also got an interesting email today, Some but not all of my carbon trims are on their way, Paypal dispute must have done the trick:)

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5, Stanningtonglen, ESD1711 and 1 other person
You're bounding off in to the distance with this now mate haha, leaving the rest of us in your dust!

Glad you've gotten somewhere with your carbon bits though - they will look mega.

Ajax mate,

Have you tried this..

Step 1. Proceed to taking your Avant to a car show. Choice of many, but you take your pick.
Step 2. Enter slowly, following the 5mph speed limit signs whilst other entrants and spectators marvel in amazement.
Step 3. Ask when you will be receiving your 1st place medal for detailing of the year 2015.
Step 4. Wait around pointlessly whilst others get placed below your vehicle.
Step 5. As expected, collect your 1st place silverware, showing no emotions as emotions show you are surprised.
Step 6. 'Roll out' of the event just like you came in..slowly. Returning home and going about your business like nothing ever happened.

The end. :tongueclosed::tongueclosed::tongueclosed:

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5
I'm not gonna lie, I prefer the door and dash trims over the ashtray etc. It looks better with the black piping around it for definite, but your work on those trims is awesome. I'd love to have the time and patience to do something like that: just keeping the thing clean is hard enough! Love those red belts too-they're a real wow mod for the interior, and make the trims look subtle and classy

But as I said in Unitzero's thread, you two have nailed this Avant thing...

You're bounding off in to the distance with this now mate haha, leaving the rest of us in your dust!

Glad you've gotten somewhere with your carbon bits though - they will look mega.

Come on Erik you're forgetting it's only a 1.9, it leaves nothing in it's dust!! Seriously tho, never planned any of this, one thing led to another and I got a bit carried away.

Ajax mate,

Have you tried this..

Step 1. Proceed to taking your Avant to a car show. Choice of many, but you take your pick.
Step 2. Enter slowly, following the 5mph speed limit signs whilst other entrants and spectators marvel in amazement.
Step 3. Ask when you will be receiving your 1st place medal for detailing of the year 2015.
Step 4. Wait around pointlessly whilst others get placed below your vehicle.
Step 5. As expected, collect your 1st place silverware, showing no emotions as emotions show you are surprised.
Step 6. 'Roll out' of the event just like you came in..slowly. Returning home and going about your business like nothing ever happened.

The end. :tongueclosed::tongueclosed::tongueclosed:

Never taken any of my cars to a car show, in fact never even been to one. The enjoyment for me is in figuring out how to then actually doing it, love the buzz of achieving something by myself. Can be a silly wee thing or a major one, enjoy it all the same. I am planning on visiting one soon tho, the Scottish forum I'm on does a big one every year. Not planning on entering anything tho just going to see the other cars and put some faces to names(inc ESD1711). In all honesty tho I wouldn't class it as a show winner, paintwork is good for a 8yr old car but not what I would say is top notch show winner class, red always photographs well!!!

I'm not gonna lie, I prefer the door and dash trims over the ashtray etc. It looks better with the black piping around it for definite, but your work on those trims is awesome. I'd love to have the time and patience to do something like that: just keeping the thing clean is hard enough! Love those red belts too-they're a real wow mod for the interior, and make the trims look subtle and classy

But as I said in Unitzero's thread, you two have nailed this Avant thing...

Thanks mate, appreciate the trims aren't everyones cup of tea. They were done as a stop gap until something better turned up and got fed up with the scratched fish scale ones I'd fired in for a few weeks, unfortunately that was months ago. Fingers crossed something special will arrive soon, supposedly been posted but don't really trust the guy anymore. Always red belts in cars for some reason and they tied in with everything else on the car, they weren't crazy expensive and lifted it a lot so money well spent.

Stop being so humble, it's a superb car you have and all down to your own skills. Paint work looks great to me I wish mine was as good.

So what if it's only a 1.9 under the bonnet, how often does anyone really get to enjoy the full benifit of 400hp or what ever they may have under their bonnet? You can enjoy your work at zero mph!

Keep up the good work

Reactions: DrStrange
Mines been floating about in show-land for the last few years now and while I'm happy enough to admit it's not a show winner either, I'm also comfortable enough saying mine holds it own all things considered.

So..... If mine can hold its own then there's absolutely no reason why yours can't go further than that cos yours trumps mine in just about every department lol!!

Appreciate that the whole show thing isn't everyone's cup of tea, but confident yours would go down very well if you decided to go down that path :)

As SDHA4SLine said,

Stop being so humble! What you've done is fantastic and great motivation for us all.

I would be inclined to keep your car and never sell it to be honest! Its just that good!

Regards mate.

Thanks guys, awesome comments!!

Managed to finally punt a set of wheels so immediately replaced them with another set :wtf:

No way I was risking the OZs over winter so have been looking for an easy clean, sensible set to run. Used to hate Rotors but they've really grown on me lately so picked up a genuine set of the concave 9Jx19 ET33 S5 ones. They've got the usual kerbing and other marks so thinking of refurbing them myself, just not sure if I want to keep the silver lip or not. The fitments good tho and literally just clear the calipers, not 100% sure they'll clear the RS4 brakes I was going to put on so will need to check that out first before buying new discs to go with them. Only downside, I only actually have one at the moment, DHL/Parcelforce decided to split them up somewhere between here and Germany so will be Monday before the rest show up.

Reactions: Benny B0Y, Jason owen, Stanningtonglen and 2 others
Nice, I like rotors they were top of my list a while back, now they're a close second.

Yes, blimey, that's a real close call on the caliper clearance!

I think think they really suit it looks great, very close to calipers and what about doing the sliver rim in mat/satin black have seen them done in red to

Thanks guys.

I've got to admit my main reasoning for loosing the silver lip is that I just don't fancy masking up to paint it, I'll never get close to the original finish and I've slowly been trying to ditch all the silver/chrome from the car. This week for example the more time I spent driving the more I noticed that the silver door handles looked out of place since I did the trims so I cracked on and painted them too.

As I've still got a bit of the paint left and I really like it I'll probably do them in that first and go from there. I'm tempted to try the red fade again possibly from the hub out or along the inside edges of the spokes but it would need to be really subtle, using the red as an undercoat instead of seeing any actual plain red. They'll probably end up with umpteen layers of paint on them before I'm happy but will try to get them looking decent enough for winter.

I have concave envy

going to look great when you get all 4 wheels though. also like to see how you get on at refurbing the lips, mine are curbed to buggery !

Not sure about the hydro dripped stuff I've seen, just doesn't look the same without the depth of the resin.

I have concave envy

going to look great when you get all 4 wheels though. also like to see how you get on at refurbing the lips, mine are curbed to buggery !

these cars look look stunning with a really nice set of concave wheels on they just suite them more then any other wheel, you two seem have have nailed the look on the Avant well done
have then carbon dipped but with a red base, a bite like the red interior trims your getting done

:wtf:Red seatbelts. Remember them on my Mg Maestro, never again thankyou, they soaked up dirty marks.

Handles fitted, much happier with them now.

And since I had the gun out thought I'd have a play with the new wheel, experimenting:)
First tho I thought I'd better check the fitment to the new brakes if I ever get round to biting the bullet and ordering discs. Bolted an old upright to my bench then spaced the caliper out to where it'll sit for 380mm discs and all good, just!!

Primed,

Some red,

And grey then cleared,

I like it but will try it on the car again before committing to the others.

Reactions: Benny B0Y, JMGR33N, Jason owen and 1 other person
I like those, and I'm betting they will look good against the colour of your car.

how many wheels can one man want/have ???

lmao, looking good though pal, i love little details such as the ones you have done, sneaky bits of red are a nice touch

I so want an avant even more now!

Hi mate, this is my first time in years on this site....having problems with my car, i have just been reading your post. Fine looking car you have created. Credit where credit is due.
I come from Fife too so maybe i might have the pleasure one day and see your car in the flesh. Cheers David.

Like that man. Nice effect

They look sweet.

Very nice work looks a really good job mate

I like those, and I'm betting they will look good against the colour of your car.

Thanks guys!!

how many wheels can one man want/have ???

lmao, looking good though pal, i love little details such as the ones you have done, sneaky bits of red are a nice touch

Down to three sets with one set for sale, fed up with space they take up around the place!!

I so want an avant even more now!

Saloon to avant convert and wouldn't go back, much more practical and ihmo they look far better!!

Hi mate, this is my first time in years on this site....having problems with my car, i have just been reading your post. Fine looking car you have created. Credit where credit is due.
I come from Fife too so maybe i might have the pleasure one day and see your car in the flesh. Cheers David.

Where abouts are you David? I'm down in Kennoway.

What's up with yours?

Had another wee test fit and happy with them, hopefully I can replicate the finish over the other three when they arrive!!

Reactions: Stanningtonglen and Greeny233
Haha.....just along the road mate. Markinch.
I have a 3.0 A4 B7, just came back from the South coast of England yesterday....at Carlisle the engine management light came on..car was fine driving home, read the code when i came back. Egr needs cleaned, it looks quite an awkward job to do. Was wondering if anyone could give any tips or advice for it's removal/cleaning. Thanks David

That looks good fitted mate, it kinda looks like the red is a reflection of your paint from the car.