Replacing Bose advice

_Conrad_

STRONIC
Reaction score
Bose system is good but I want more have never upgraded a system before. I want high quality sound over outright loudness.

Started having a look I think I want hertz speakers and Audison amp sound deadened doors and new wiring.

I'm pretty good with my hands but think I'll get someone to fit this stuff for me as I want it to be perfect and don't know feel I know enough to do it myself.

Any advice on what sort of stuff I should get would be helpful and any recommendations of places to get the stuff done / from.

Cheers

what's your budget and what's your location?

I have RNS-E mike into a bit one, into voce 5.1k, into an av10 and mille speakers. full car soundproofed etc sounds amazing

Sorry didnt update this sooner thought I should go and learn a little more ! I'm in Surrey sw London area .

Right been away and got some quotes for jl Audio and for hertz.

Only been one place so far but spent a good hour or two with the guy. He sells both jl audio and hertz but geussing he prefers to fit jl.

Speaker spec are these :

Jl Audio c3 650
Jl audio c2 650
Jl xd 700 5
Jl tw3 10
Plus a jl bass control

Vs

Ecx 165.5
Hsk 165
Hx 300d
Hdp 5
HRC bass control

I went in there jl audio car and was amazing i think it was geared more for volume as I would personally prefer less loud but more quality. There front speakers where Couple sets up from the ones I've been quoted for as well.

I do listen to all types of house hip hop so quite bass demanding music but I like the vocals to be nice a crisp. Bit of a essay !

Reactions: Sayam
I would 100% go for the Hertz setup that has been designed for you out of those two. I'd also get a Bit Ten D and ditch the HRC bass controller, but that's your choice and depends on your budget.

I don't know quite how to describe it but JL speakers can't take as much 'bu******' as Hertz ones. JL speakers will play beautiful if the source is up to scratch, whereas, the Hertz will play nice even if you are feeding them MP3s which aren't the best quality.

Also, that JL amp has no balls compared to the HDP5 which I've worked will loads and really enjoy using.

He created the jl set up and was trying to sell that more but was happy to fit hertz as well. But from the stuff I've read and just the way hertz stuff looks in comparison to jl hertz just looks like it's made better.

I actually picked the hertz set up myself with the restraints on what I'm looking to spend. As I think it should sound quite different.

So what does this bi ten thing actually do?!

Cheers

It's a processor. So it takes the sound output from your headunit as an input. It will then de-equalise the sound if it is equalised from your headunit.

You can then set crossover points, phase, EQ, time alignment as you see fit. This is then output and sent to the input of your amplifier to be amplified.

It's great because it has a GUI and you can sit in your car with your laptop, and change settings live and hear the difference until you are happy with the sound.

For time alignment you just enter the distance from your hear to each speaker (or set of speakers when they are powered via a passive crossover) and it will work out the time delay.

You can also run your front speakers active in the future if you want to using it as well.

Reactions: curlo
Ah ok so allowing a much greater amount of customisation and make the most of everything else . Going to have a chat with at least one other place and go from there. Thanks for the help much appreciated .

No worries. The Hertz range is distributed by FOUR car audio. They have a network of "FOUR masters" (dealers who know the products to a very high level).

You should visit your local Four master

Right booked in for the above work buzzing! Just thinking of putting in the HSK 165xl in the front and maybe HCX 165 in the rear.

It may be worth you taking the trip down south to "Studio Incar" they are part of the four masters network sayam talked about.

Shakey really knows his stuff and will help you to find the right system for yourself. They also offer tiered audio set ups for people who are wanting to stick to a budget.

You can find some of their work on instagram @studioincar. I've heard a few of their cars in person, including a good friend of mines and the quality is so good.

[edit] just saw that you're booked in, i blame the fact it's been a long week :tocktock: looking forward to hearing your review. I need to go down the audio route at some point.

Haha I've been into the place yesterday to have a listen going to go with the the HCX In the rears now and if the HSK 165xls fit I'll get them as well. I'll only think why didn't I if I don't !

The HSK 165xls sounded like there was a sub connected and the highs were so crisp was impressed.

I'll update once it's all fitted I'll try and get them to take some photos whilst there installing as I'm leaving the car with them.

All fitted ! Sounds really good just being careful as they need running in for at least 15 to 25 hours. Then need to pop back and have a re tune.

Dynamat extremed both whole sides of the car as well makes quite a difference even with the stereo off car just feels higher quality.

Will it sound different through the run in stage and how long did you run yours in for ?

Reactions: Jonathaan
What's a rough price for an install like this? Open to a pm if you don't feel like posting publicly.

Look forward to the pictures :D And yeah if you wouldn't mind posting price that would be great :thumbs up:

All fitted ! Sounds really good just being careful as they need running in for at least 15 to 25 hours. Then need to pop back and have a re tune.

Dynamat extremed both whole sides of the car as well makes quite a difference even with the stereo off car just feels higher quality.

Will it sound different through the run in stage and how long did you run yours in for ?

I always run my equipment in for 25-30 hours. This is probably overkill but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Once run in it will deffo sound different, everything will improve especially tone characteristics and that slight harshness you may be getting from your tweeters will no longer be there.

Dynamat is expensive compared to other products that do the same but deffo very good material. Get yourself some household carpet underlay and stick that on top if there is space, that will make an even bigger difference.

What is your final equipment list then?

I'll run mine in for the same time then no point in not. I managed to get 3 hours in last night alone !

Hertz HSK 165xl 2 way
Hertz HCX165
Hertz hx 300d
Hertz HDP 5
Hertz HRC bass controller
12 inch box
Dynamat extreme both whole sides
Wiring Kit FPK700
BT6-550

Sounds so good bass is ridiculous even at low volume I think they've also kind of dummy proofed it until I've run them in hence needing to go back for adjusting.

Prices on them bits are online and payed £350 labour which is about average from the places I went for quotes done a few little extra things to make it look nice and took very good care of my car so impressed.

There hopefully sending photos over today not a custom install so nothing to exciting as I wanted to get the sound right first.

I don't know if you went with Hertz & a Four Master because of my advice or not but I'm so glad you did.

I can imagine how it sounds just looking at the equipment list! Don't forgot you can't run your equipment in at very low volume so keep it at a reasonable level so there is a decent amount of power going through the speakers etc...

Car audio security the guy who done it recently got a s3 so got a little extra love. Took him for a quick spin as his is still standardish.

Got 4 and half hours on it now noticeable change in sound keeps getting better by quite a bit!

Car audio security the guy who done it recently got a s3 so got a little extra love. Took him for a quick spin as his is still standardish.

Got 4 and half hours on it now noticeable change in sound keeps getting better by quite a bit!

Oh! I thought you went to Studio In Car?

I did look but decided on CAS as its closer and I've know about them for ages hopefully I'll have the pictures soon.