Converting a 140bhp to 170BHP

James2581

Reaction score
Hi all, first post and needing advice / help?

How straight forward is it to replace a knackered 140bhp BLB engine to 170BHP spec and what is required? Quite competent with spanners so the actual removal of engine etc is fine but just not sure what else woul be different....

Is it just the turbo, complete engine and code an ecu or do other things such as loom need changing etc?

Firstly welcome to you, you'll find all the info you could ever wish for here and it's your only prefered source for all things A4 B7 etc.
are you avant or saloon by the way, if saloon then great stuff:), if you're avant then brilliant mate:):cool:, and yes i'm biased;):D

i can't personally assist you with an answer as i'm strictly a petrol drinking a4, but there will be loads along very soon that can help you out.
good luck.

Turbo and map, if all you want is 170 just map yours.

Please elaborate on how your engine is knackered, get the engine up to scratch before modding.

I think he means engine swap not modding the 140, i believe its engine, exhaust (dpf-which you may aswell remove anyway) and ecu

Either the same or very similar engine, turbo makes the difference. I've got a 1.9tdi B6 with the BV43 turbo, then the exhaust etc are just additional performance mods.

The main difference is turbo and injectors, if your 140 Bhp engine have Bosch injectors then you will need to swap the Ecu as well. As Jake mentioned above, just map your engine's ecu if you just want 170Bhp, turbo is the bottleneck though on the 140 Bhp engine !

I'm also interested, in what way is your engine knackered?

sorry for delay in reply.

Oil pump has failed.

So the actual block and head is the same for the 140bhp and 170bhp?

apart from the turbo, injectors and ecu is there any other differences in the engine castings or internals?

oh and if I started with 170 then a remap will achieve more than just mapping a 140 ;)