Wheelarch rust

TFSIer

2.0TFSi Sport Sportback 2006
Reaction score
My 06 has lost paint at bottom of front wheelarches on the thin lip as it folds in from wing / sill and first part of sill underside due to being peppered with stones over 70k miles. Cosmetic issue ie no metal lost. Tried 2 approaches with little success
1) Use dremel wire brush and wet & dry to get rid of loose paint & rust. Clean with white spirit / water and leave to dry. Use Hammerite Kurust then 2 coats Audi touch up paint.
2) Clean as above but then 2 coats Hammerite stone chip shield + 2 coats Audi touch up paint.
Unfortunately in both cases the paint chips off and rust reappears within a few weeks. Anyone had success with a different method ? Perhaps need to use all paints above together but was unsure how compatible Kurust and touch-up paint are with Stone chip shield - just says 'over-paintable with most top coats'. Anyone used Dinitrol 440/445 ?

Last edited:
rust treatment is only ever a temporary fix

new wings aren't overly expensive if you can find them in your chosen colour

Agreed but rust nowhere near bad enough to consider wing replacement (and wouldn't fix the issue with the sill). Just looking for a 'temporary' solution that lasts a few months rather than weeks.

I have the same issue. I'm currently looking for a rubberised coating for the sill. apears nothing available from aerosol.

Dinitrol 447 is rubber-based and available as an aerosol. Dinitrol website also states its overpaintable if required. £17 for 500ml aerosol on ebay.

Last edited:
Note: Just had a reply to an email I sent to Dinitrol/Rejel re use of 447. "Stone chip (ie 445/447) was always intended to be used under the arches or sills or on the front spoilers below the bumper line as they give an “orange Peel” effect."

Reactions: enc
Note: Just had a reply to an email I sent to Dinitrol/Rejel re use of 447. "Stone chip (ie 445/447) was always intended to be used under the arches or sills or on the front spoilers below the bumper line as they give an “orange Peel” effect."

Nice one fella, sounds just the ticket :applouse: