P0234 overboost: How much to fit a turbo?

joncro

Reaction score
Hi chaps,
Had a couple of incidents where the car has gone into limp mode, whilst joining a motorway, no flashing warning lights. Had a scan p0234 overboost limit exceeded. Did think of trying mr muscle but worried i would **** the whole thing up! How much should it cost to fit a new turbo to my 2.0tdi bre?
Seen ebay have some uk remanufactured turbos with 12 months warranty for around the £300 mark.
Is there any decent garages or handy people around the chesterfield/derby/notts area i should consider to ask to fit the turbo?
Im hoping to see if the actuator moves freely this weekend. is it just a matter of gaining access to the rod and pushing it up and down with a screwdriver or do i need a vac gauge?
Thanks.

There are other things that can cause that fault code such a duff MAP sensor or a problem with the vacuum system.
You can learn a lot by monitoring the specified and actual boost levels in VAG-COM whilst the car is driven. This would give you more of an idea whats going on.
If you watch the actuator rod and get somebody to rev the car you should be able to see it moving.The spring is pretty strong in the actuator so it can't be moved that much.
This was the turbo actuator on my 1.9 TDI Passat, similar set up. When the engine is started it pulls right in to give max boost at low revs, when the engine is revved it moves out as actual boost exceeds specified.
Be careful of the belts and fans.

Karl.

The guy who scanned my car seemed to know his stuff but is crazy busy at the moment, he noticed whilst the car was ticking over the parameters where correct meaning the map sensor was ok, least that is what i think he said. The fault occured at 70% throttle i think he said. He said the best route would be to check the actutor first then consider a turbo clean/replacement but again he is fully booked for the next 2 months. And i will be taking my caravan out in a couple of months and wanted this problem sorted before i was towing.

Sounds like the MAP is good then, they are fairly easy to spot when you look at the real time measurements.

Just taken the car out for blast all A roads but i have been recreating joining a bypass/motorway by slowing right down, then booting it up to 70-80mph and not once did it go into limp mode! I think a few good long runs are req'd and hopefully burn any carbon off the vanes.

Lets hope so mate, any of the snake oils worth using? Been told millers eco boost is worth a shot.

Just ordered a mann service kit from gsf, cant do any harm!