Tyre Replacement question

claytow

Reaction score
Website
www.blukuk.com
I know the debate about what tyres to use could rage for ages.. But I would like to ask advice about something else.
Went into STS this morning to get a puncture repaired on my 2000 S6 4.2 V8. While they were doing it they checked the treads and said I have 3mm left on all tyres so would need some very soon.
They also told me that because its quattro I had to change all 4 as there cant be more than 3mm difference between the front and rear as this causes diff problems and they can break. Is that rubbish?
Or could I do 2 in a month then do 2 the next month or two without causing any harm to my diff.

Was thinking of putting goodyears back on as they are on special offer at the moment with 25% off.

Any comments or advice welcome.

They are talking shyte.
That used to be the case on Vauxhall Cav 4x4 etc, but ive never heard of a problem with Audi Quattro and ive been in the game for 20yrs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

They are just trying to lighten your wallet for you.

I've no idea whether they're talking sh!te or not, but if all your tyres are down to 3mm, you might as well replace all four anyway. They might still be be legal, but their performance will have deteriorated hugely by now.

The thing is that it happens by minute degrees over time, so you don't notice it. What you will notice, though is the huge improvement when you get new rubber all round.

Personally, I wouldn't let my tyres get as low as 3mm before replacing them.

If you can afford all 4 at the same time then there`s no probs Jeff, but the point i was trying to make was that there is no problem to do them in pairs and spread the cost over 2 months, especially as the `other` pair will still have 3mm left.
STS (stapletons i presume) were telling a little porky just to get the sale of 4 tyres instead of 2, must have been having a quiet day.

[ QUOTE ]
If you can afford all 4 at the same time then there`s no probs Jeff, but the point i was trying to make was that there is no problem to do them in pairs and spread the cost over 2 months, especially as the `other` pair will still have 3mm left.
STS (stapletons i presume) were telling a little porky just to get the sale of 4 tyres instead of 2, must have been having a quiet day.

[/ QUOTE ]

See what you mean, Dave. You might have the avatar but I have the brain for real. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure I wouldnt break anything by doing it that way 550.00 is allot from a monthly wage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wouldn't purchase ANY Goodyear products at this time.....they are never rated very well...

I like the Yokohama DB2 (VERY quiet and good traction in ALL WEATHER), or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (Also All Season).

The Yoko's are priced well (around $140 from Tirerack.com).....
.....the Michelins are a bit over $210 each :( .

Some also like the Kumho's, but I don't have any experience with them to date.

Hope that helps....Good luck!

Shoman

shoman216 said:
I wouldn't purchase ANY Goodyear products at this time.....they are never rated very well...

I like the Yokohama DB2 (VERY quiet and good traction in ALL WEATHER), or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (Also All Season).

The Yoko's are priced well (around $140 from Tirerack.com).....
.....the Michelins are a bit over $210 each :( .

Some also like the Kumho's, but I don't have any experience with them to date.

Hope that helps....Good luck!

Shoman

I think you'll find quite a few happy people on goodyear eagle F1's. They're rated as some of the best too.

b@ll@x i'm sure its more like 7mm the diff should start working get only the ones you need replacing

whats wrong with goodyear? they've always been strong on mine, yokos are similarly strong but more grippy, more expensive, pirelli are good for mileage, newer avons are good grippy and reasonable wear rate, only tyres i've had a problem with are toyos which were to soft as the wall on my front tyres tore up at only around 1000 miles