A3 1.8t stalling/cutting out!

oli_tzr

Reaction score
Hi guys,
aargh4.gif
confused.png

I'm pretty new to the site and new to having an Audi (had it around 3 weeks) it's a 1998 1.8t A3 sport with about 120k on the clock.
It was fine the first week or so but the next couple of weeks started cutting out, mostly on approach to bends but sometimes while accelerating. It's strange because there is no coughing or spluttering, engine just dies. It normally starts up again either straight away or second time and is then fine again. No warning lights, no nothing! I have cleaned the throttle body and it was serviced recently, I am at a bit of a loss with it really and wondered if anybody had experienced similar problems? I would really appreciate if anyone could shed light on this!

Thanks in advance
Oli

Hi mate if you can scan the car with vagcom see if any faults are chucked up. As a rule of thumb cars that just die like that can only have a few issues causing it I would check your coil pack fuel pump might have blocked injectors the only reason a car will cut out is fuel or spark.

Try checking for vacuum leaks , especially the little ones under the inlet manifold (there prone to splitting). A smoke test would rule out any leaks but there hard to find nowadays. It could also be maf related but I would get it scanned before chucking money into it.

Have posted this issue a few months ago so wont give you the full monty but probably the Engine Speed sensor failing (MB,etc call it the Crankshaft sensor)
Bit of a nightmare but all sorted now...