oil temp and coolant temp gauge not working audi a4 tqs?

fullpower

Reaction score
as above, yesterday lunchtime both were working, by the eve neither were. Am I right in thinking they are not related at all? Any help appreciated. Cheers

To both go at the same time is more than likely clocks, how far did you drive and what was the outside temp reading anything else you noticed ??

Check fuses and just check connections at given sensors then wiring harness for crimping or damage.

You can read out the 'actual' temp readings on the hvac unit to check wether there both reading correct or nothing at all.

Tried to look for the coolant sensor in the dark with my phone is it directly at the back of the engine? icould see something that looked similar to the one on my golf but I couldnt feel the metal clips to disconnect the connecter or see them in the dark could of just pulled the tab out but didnt want remove the whole thing in dark if it was wrong anyway. my golf has the blue type of sensor which has connector with metal push clips on 3 sides was going to try and swap them over to rule out it being a sensor. gonna have another look in the day light

^^ i wondered this hence why i asked how far he had driven, its probably the first culprit with any temp related issues !!

Beat bet is to read off the car temp on the hvac.

When my thermostat went it would take a good 10 mile to get up to temp now its upto temp within a mile or so !! Oh and youll enjoy the comfort of nice toasty heaters !!

Reactions: fullpower
I had probably driven about 30 miles mainly motorway and the outside temp was 3 if i remember right i had the little snow ice sign thing, all worked fine went out later and both gauges never moved. The car did take a while to warm up so it could be. Il take it out tomorrow and test it.
cheers for help guys.

For the sake of it throw a new one in while its out, if the heaters were 'warm' then it will be the stat, they should be red hot to the point its enough to turn them off as its melting your face lol

If it was 3'c then it aint going to get warm driving 30 miles especially in cold weather the rad will of been like a freezer !!

It was the stat, you could see when you took it off the bit in middle wasnt going through the hole in middle if you know what I mean. Put a new one on and now the gauges work again , engine warms up quicker and heaters will melt you, its -1 outside I had to turn them down then off as they were making me feel ill.

cheers for the help:audibash:

Basically, both guages are fed from completely different places.

It seems unlikely two completely unrelated guages would both start to lie, simultaneously. Thus the sensible answer is they're not lying, and the coolant and oil simply arent reaching operating temperature, thus the guages dont appear to move.

As a result, it points at the thermostat being at fault. Its odd that it would fail quickly, but for instance if your 30mile drive was motorway, where engine load is low, and cooling flow it very high and very cold, it might well show up a faulty thermostat where driving round town would not. Thus it might appear that one day your driving round town and all is fine, and the next day its down at 60c and wont heat up.

Can you tell me, does the coolant guage usually stick at exactly 90c once the cars warmed up, or does it wander around a bit?

Basically, both guages are fed from completely different places.

It seems unlikely two completely unrelated guages would both start to lie, simultaneously. Thus the sensible answer is they're not lying, and the coolant and oil simply arent reaching operating temperature, thus the guages dont appear to move.

As a result, it points at the thermostat being at fault. Its odd that it would fail quickly, but for instance if your 30mile drive was motorway, where engine load is low, and cooling flow it very high and very cold, it might well show up a faulty thermostat where driving round town would not. Thus it might appear that one day your driving round town and all is fine, and the next day its down at 60c and wont heat up.

Can you tell me, does the coolant guage usually stick at exactly 90c once the cars warmed up, or does it wander around a bit?

It was thermostat I changed it yesterday you were bang on the money, And yes the car will always stay a 90 once hot never wandered around at all just stopped working randomly 1day. when i took the old 1 out the little pin thing in middle wasnt goin through the hole in middle it was jammed to right a bit which was keeping it open all the time ,I recon i could of put the old 1 back in cause I pushed back into where it should be but for the money I thought Id just replace it.