optimum rev range (low end)?

57mab57

Reaction score
I have a 62 plate a3 2.0DTI (138) and was looking at the handbook, when i pick up some conflicting advice:
General driving - "Change down when the revs get below 1500".
But "DIS gear selection indicator" often conflicts this - e.g. driving along at 28 mph in 3rd DIS says go to 4th, but doing this this puts me down to 1200 revs, and therefore I should change down again, to raise the revs above 1500! Is it just an economy thing - does driving around at <1500 damage the engine, or does it just give poor acceleration?
Any thoughts?

I spend a lot of time at less than 1500 RPM but mine is a 3.0 tdi . Doesn't harm the engine at all . When I had my 1.9 TDI Passat used to find the best economy when driving in 30-40mph areas was around 13-1500 RPM .
Obviously if you want to accelerate quickly you change down a gear or two.

karl.

Reactions: Kalashnikov
ill just add by saying its possible to cruise below 1500rpm in my 143 tdi .@ 30-35mph

i regularly use 5th.. but don't think its advised when you see hill coming up.

1) you'll risk stalling the engine

2) you'll look like an idiot

In my 3.0tdi I always keep her between 1600 and 2100 around town. Rarely go on 4th. Going below that in my opinion is loosing control of a car. But like I said it's just me.

Thanks for your comments, clearly it's a choice between economy and acceralation/safety, but the engine won't be damaged at low revs.

The engine won't, but constantly labouring at low revs will wear your clutch out quicker.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…