I sold my S3 for a......

• Thread starter imported_MancheS3er
  • Start date
I

imported_MancheS3er

There's been a lot of talk recently about people selling their S3's because of age, under or over performance, the new S3, family commitments, etc, etc so I thought it'd be interesting to do a post and see what those of us that have sold up have moved onto ??

Personally I sold up to move over to Sydney, Australia and it nearly broke my heart but I'm picking up my new car on Friday. I will post some pics over the weekend.

Over to the floor everyone....

I sold my S3 for my dream car:

54331821-d78e-027801A5-.jpg

A 996 C4S with several options...

A car that still has me giggling at the thought of driving it...and simply starting it makes the hairs on the back on my neck stand on end.

What a brilliant car...

I dont have an S3. I have a A3 1.8tq but although i have had loads of bad luck with it i can't bare to part with it. Its just sat there on my drive feeling sorry for itself

EssThree. That car is lush!

[ QUOTE ]
I sold my S3 for my dream car:

54331821-d78e-027801A5-.jpg

A 996 C4S with several options...

A car that still has me giggling at the thought of driving it...and simply starting it makes the hairs on the back on my neck stand on end.

What a brilliant car...

[/ QUOTE ]

one day i will own one, hopefully ive still got my marbles to drive it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

[ QUOTE ]
And then some b@rstard painted it yellow, that's just not fair /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't have accepted it in any other colour...Speed Yellow is the future...
Like Garlic Bread..

If I can bring myself to sell my S3 this summer, it will be for something that is more fun, probably not faster A-B but more fun. I want RWD and I'd rather not have a turbo I'd also like it to be a bit lighter than the S3.

If everything works out I'd like an S2000 or an Elise but we'll have to wait and see as I might go for something very cheap, stupid and fun while I make my mind up!

I still don't think the S3 has any real competition for what it offers and it remains to see what the new S3 will end up like.

[ QUOTE ]
looks like a beaut Ess, So how big's the engine?

[/ QUOTE ]

3.6, Vario-cam+ & Vario Ram.
Sports exhaust...320BHP.

[ QUOTE ]

and what performance firgure if u don't mind (I don't know much about ma porsches) enjoy drivin it though,

[/ QUOTE ]

0-60 in 5 seconds. 177 top whack...although we've never had it above 170 ish...sitting with the cruise set at 168 last summer! (GPS verified)

[ QUOTE ]

same number plate as in the pic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup...

This was it just before I drove it out of the showroom:
42717882-91b2-02000180-.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
If I can bring myself to sell my S3 this summer, it will be for something that is more fun, probably not faster A-B but more fun. I want RWD and I'd rather not have a turbo I'd also like it to be a bit lighter than the S3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lighter, RWD, N/A, and fun. those were the things I wanted in a car once the S3 went.

[ QUOTE ]

I still don't think the S3 has any real competition for what it offers and it remains to see what the new S3 will end up like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with that, I still think the S3 is a great car and I would have kept mine if I could have afforded an everyday car that cost more than £700!

And if I could afford the Porker, then..... But I can't.
(I actually have to confess that I still have the link -here if you're sad - of when Glen originally picked the car up! My opinions on yellow cars have never been the same)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

but can you fit your golf clubs in the back Glen? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Need to get up North to see it in the flesh some day!

[ QUOTE ]
but can you fit your golf clubs in the back Glen? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Need to get up North to see it in the flesh some day!

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it...
But you can get me, David R, 2 bags suitable for a weeks holiday, 6 crates of wine, 2 model cars, 1 bottle of champagne and various other stuff in the car...whilst the 'boot' is full of cameras, jackets, a laptop, oil, water etc..

I sold my S3 for a Golf TDi 130 BHP

No where near as fast, but it doesn't feel underpowered thanks to the Torque.

Was a shame I loved the S3, but it hit 65k and the maintenance bills were looming.

The MPG is what made the decision for me.

S3 = 31 mpg at best (60-65mph)
TDi = 60 mpg at best (60-65mph)

Double distance almost per fill up, you just can't argue with it, and since filling up is now £1 a litre I feel I made the right choice.

[ QUOTE ]

S3 = 31 mpg at best (60-65mph)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell! 31 MPG...I don't think I ever saw that out of mine...nearer 22-25 I think.

Now getting 18ish...

Do you mind me asking how much it cost for you to swap to the Golf? as I was looking at doing something similar then decided firstly I didn't really want a diesel and secondly the ammount it was going to cost to get even a golf I actually wanted to spend more than 5 mins in was going to be a lot more than any savings in fuel costs.

E30 M3 Convertible.

web page

A lovely car, with great handling and a great engine. But I never got the hang of LHD, so I got another S3. And now I think I'd like the M3 back again.

God I'm crap at making decisions

BMW E60 530d.

Great car, as quick and as fun to drive as a stock S3, a few more toys and on paper I suppose technically the "better" car.

But.... something's definitely missing. The S3 still has a rare charm that very few other cars can match, let alone a 530. It felt a lot more solid than the beemer does as well.

I'd agree too that none of the new hatches to come out lately match the S3 for its charm, build, discrete looks and relative rarity. I'd go back to a low mileage one in a shot if I could make the sums add up.

Nice set of wheels Ess_Three, so where do you go from here....another Porsche ?

[ QUOTE ]
Nice set of wheels Ess_Three, so where do you go from here....another Porsche ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers...
I don't know that I go anywhere from there...whay change when I'm fortunate enough to own my dream car...and it still amazes and excites in equal measure?
It still feels special to drive...and makes me feel spacial when driving it...

I honestly don't see me changing in a long, long while...if ever!

I also haven't felt the desire to mess with it...it is, to my driving ability, perfect. I've spent 18 months getting tuned into it...and now feel confident to throw it about...and it just gets better and better.

I think we should change the title of the post to "how ace is EssThree's Porker" lol

They are awesome looking cars. Never been in one though but always liked the look of the GT3 RS.

Went to a VW Dealer, got the Golf for around the 12k and Part-Ex'd the S3 to them for 9k so 3k difference.

I am sure there are better deals around but I didn't want to hang around on the S3 because required maintenace was looming and I wasn't going to fork out for a car I wasn't planning on keeping.

TBH I'm much happier with the Golf, ok I miss the S3, but I can do 90+ MPH at 45mpg.... its a no brainer, I'm saving myself £100 a month in fuel costs.

31MPG in the S3 was driving at 55-65 like an old man, certainly not something I did often.

Fair point but still £3000 is a lot of money to spend on petrol, I agree it probably makes sense for the long term though. I've just got back from a trip upto York and back from just near Reading and my cars done 30 mpg driving at 80-100Mph the whole way with 4 people in the car and luggage for a weekend away - I was rather impressed.