DRL bulb change

Ash3715

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm sure this has been covered loads of times already but new to the forum and can't seem to find the answer.

Just picked my A3 up and not a fan of the yellowish DRL that are standard, I have bulbs to replace the dipped and sides but wasn't sure what bulbs are the DRL's, so if anyone can help I'd be most appreciative.

Ash

The DRL's act as the main beam as well. They're a H15 bulb. I have changed these on my car. They're the two closest to the centre bulbs. Next to the side lights and are simple to change. Just twist them out and access is easy to them.

Be warned though! So far I've tried 3 different makes of H15 bulb and they've all been pants. Yes they're whiter which looks nice. But vision is appaling with them. Driving through lanes at night the full beams may as well not be on, they make absolutely no difference. Also when flashing people they never seemed to see me flash. For this reason I've removed them and put the standard back in.

It's a case of see or be "seen". Especially at this time of the year I'd rather see aha!

H15 bulb also seems to be lacking behind the rest of the bulbs on the market. Not a great lot of choice out there. Every bulb I can find has the blue film and I assume that's what gives the poor light output. If you have any joy with yours. Give me a shout!

Marc

Nice one cheers for that Marc, there is a guy in another forum who I know, he supplies bulbs so I will see what he has, I have my other car loaded with his and all pretty good, had em in 2 years. If he has any I'll let you know.

I had a quick look and the dipped beam look like a pig to get to and change so may leave them.

Thanks for the advise pal, appreciated

Contacted Osram a couple of weeks ago about H15 Bulb. Was informed they are developing an upgrade bulb and should be released about March next year. Will be marketed in the Cool Blue Intense Range. They are going to email me when release is imminent. Hopefully the main beam will be better than the H15s sold on EBay that are available at the moment.

Cheers

David.

Awesome news, wonder why that bulb has been left behind when you can pick decent quality H1 H7's etc dirt cheap.

I believe the H15 bulb was developed by Osram & possibly has a Patent on it. The ones you buy on EBay are manufactured on a small scale in China: and they don't give a thump about Patents.

David.

No they don't, but while the demand is there on eBay who can fault them for manufacturing at a fraction of the price