Anyone with advanced key had their car stolen here?

jaypers777

Reaction score
Apologies for another thread on the subject, but while the keyless entry thread rages on, I wanted to ask the direct question. I'm sure many people on these forums have the advanced key. To get a sense of perspective, does anyone here have any examples of issues with security?

Thanks.

I have advanced key, and my car has not been stolen. Yet.

Reactions: Grover and ACWKGYTO
Car Crime Census 2013

To create this list we’ve filtered our database to show the most stolen luxury and prestige models. In all likelihood these models are ‘stolen to order’.

It’s bad news for BMWs, which take every place from one to five. This is likely down to a security flaw which allowed thieves to create a duplicate key and easily make off with the car.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/crime/top-10s/top-10-stolen-to-order/

BMW had a serious security flaw in their system hence why it was being stolen so easily, especially around the Midlands area.
They've patched it up and any BMW owner should be safer as long as they had the software update in their car by BMW.

Although it took BMW a couple of years to acknowledge the fault until Watchdog exposed them.

BMW's are **** anyways....

Well, we all *thought* that it had been patched, until we watched last months episode of Watchdog!

It appears it hadn't been patched on all cars, and they didn't contact all owners of all cars affected!

Apologies for another thread on the subject, but while the keyless entry thread rages on, I wanted to ask the direct question. I'm sure many people on these forums have the advanced key. To get a sense of perspective, does anyone here have any examples of issues with security?

Thanks.
As I have stated, I have had keyless, or what audi call advanced key, since 2008 and none of the cars have been stolen or broken into...

nope

and I believe I stand the exact same chance of having my car stolen if it wasn't keyless.

That's exactky what all the Range Rover Evoque owners thought too !!!!!

Reactions: RedTurtle
That's the whole point.

There aren't any available statistics that demonstrate that exact metric.

So in terms of past statistical performance, your statement in your previous post is groundless statistically :)

I have a house with 5 windows on the ground floor.

If I instsll a 6th window also on the ground floor, does that increase the entry points into the house, or does it remain the same?

By installing a 6th window, I won't necessarily have increased my chances of being burgled

But I certainly have increased the number of ways into the house for a burglar.

Reactions: Martinbanshee and s3_trev
nope

and I believe I stand the exact same chance of having my car stolen if it wasn't keyless.

picard-facepalm.jpg

My A3 hasn't got advanced key, but was stolen.

Nothing makes sense anymore!

Reactions: Martinbanshee
I have a house with 5 windows on the ground floor.

If I instsll a 6th window also on the ground floor, does that increase the entry points into the house, or does it remain the same?

By installing a 6th window, I won't necessarily have increased my chances of being burgled

But I certainly have increased the number of ways into the house for a burglar.

But my car is a three door, so should mean that i have reduced available entry points.

Reactions: Martinbanshee
oh dear.... we got bored of the other thread and now bleeding over to this one?

another-triple-facepalm.jpg

The reason for this thread is that some people think that if they don't see a load of people here saying that they had their cars stolen with keyless systems then somehow this isn't happening and it's all just a dream.

Brain damage.

Whilst this forum is well populated, in the scheme of things the percentage of all A3 / S3 owners on here is relatively small so I don't think any results would be indicative of what is or isn't happening. But interesting all the same.

I did notice in Honest Johns statistics that Audi were the second most sinned against make after Alfa Romeo.

I have a 13 year old Nissan micra that is keyless , for some reason no one has stolen it yet , and I have owned it since new.....
No one stolen my S3 as still waiting for Audi to make it!

Reactions: amped2
Perhaps silly but the risk of theft with keyless put me off it :eek:

TX.

Had my S3 stolen twice in the first 24 hours of ownership.................... guess the second time was my fault, shouldn't have parked it in the middle of a caravan park with a big sign saying 'Advanced Key, fill yer boots up you bunch of pikeys' ;)

Without wanting to start an argument on this again, I believe the advanced key being an option rather than standard plays a major factor here. The criminal gangs have standard ways of breaking into various models of car, and when they steal a car to order they won't know what kind of entry system it has when they get the opportunity to take one, so their A3/S3 method of stealing likely doesn't involve the advanced key. This is why you often see BMW and Range Rover cars with the advanced key as standard topping these lists I think.

I chuckle at the thought of people with advance key sat at home being genuinely worried by this... talk about a 1st world problem!!!

Life is too f*cking short to concern yourself with this menial what-if...

Reactions: Simon L
I chuckle at the thought of people with advance key sat at home being genuinely worried by this... talk about a 1st world problem!!!

Life is too f*cking short to concern yourself with this menial what-if...

Welcome to the ostrich club!!

We'll carry on oblivious to the 'so called dangers' while others can worry themselves to early grave over microscopic percentages ;)

89,000 vehicles broken into or stolen in London alone, in 2013.

Of those stolen, nearly half of that number (42%), was through "keyless" thefts/methods.

Microscopic percentages ?

Nah. :D

PS: If anyone wants to seriously engage in the debate, *this* is the mega-thread that is constantly referred to:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/advance-key-easy-theft.224764/

Last edited:
I regret starting this thread. It was before I picked up my car. Can we close it?!! :blahblah1:

Reactions: pat15312
So (advanced key) keyless is LESS likely as 58% NOT through "keyless" theft methods?

In 2013, in London, 42% were taken through defeating the keyless system.

58% were through other means (obtaining keys, towing etc).

What is indisputable though, is that having a keyless system, offers an additional method(s) of taking the car - not present in cars with conventional keys.

Further debate should be made in the thread referenced above, where there are other references.

If someone is going to come to your house to steal your car, chances are they are going to take it regardless of if it's keyless or not. At least if it's keyless, they're not going to try breaking into the house to get the key.

Ultimately if a car gets stolen, i's not THAT big of a deal... It's the reason we have insurance.

I think the main points have already been raised in that a) If keyless entry or a means to steal a car quickly and without obtaining the owners keys becomes knowledge then they will become a target and lots more will be stolen - BMW's went through this as have Ford.

This allows for scum with little balls to steal newish cars without having to force the owner to hand keys over or break into property for them and risk confrontation. If you have keyless then make sure you have the correct level of insurance but be happier that if it goes, it will likely be without you knowing than by force.

I posted that just for reading, silly me, forgot about the other thread.

The arguments ....just...dont....end.:screamcat:

I had my car stolen that had keyless entry around 6 months ago. They broke into the house and stole the key so it's more of a "Key Required For Entry" if you ask me!

I've said this before, the key makes hardly any difference. It's the electronics regardless of whether it's keyless (immobilizer etc) that stops the car getting stolen these days.

89,000 vehicles broken into or stolen in London alone, in 2013.

Of those stolen, nearly half of that number (42%), was through "keyless" thefts/methods.

Microscopic percentages ?

Nah. :D

PS: If anyone wants to seriously engage in the debate, *this* is the mega-thread that is constantly referred to:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/advance-key-easy-theft.224764/

Not disputing your figures, but they are not an argument against the 'microscopic percentages' comment, which was in reference to it happening at all. Also, the figures are useless without reference to the number of those 80,000 that HAD keyless ignition anyway, or without reference to the percentage of cars in London with keyless ignition on the whole.

Again, not disputing your figures, but you have drawn a bad conclusion from them!

Why is it a bad conclusion?

Almost half the cars stolen in London in 2013, were stolen by keyless entry methods.

ie: They were taken without having the vehicle key (and without towing).

42% of all vehicle thefts via a keyless theft (and it's fairly safe to account for all these cars as having keyless ignition, because that's what the report is based around) is a large percentage, regardless of the number of cars stolen. You don't actually need to know the number of cars with keyless ignition - because the report tells you the percentage of cars that were stolen via keyless methods not applicable to cars with a conventional key.

As for the probability of having your car stolen in the first place - I have no idea what the probability of having your car stolen is, but I would still wager that it isn't "microscopic".