'High' mileage A4 3.tdi Quattor

rich1

Reaction score
I have been looking at A4's for my misses and was originally looking at B7s but have noticed a few B8s with over 100k fall into my budget which we both prefer.
The one in question is this one,
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2014...

They have a much better spec than the older ones and in general seem to be a much better car.

She will only do >8k a year so won't put a lot of miles on it in the time we will have it but am I better going for an older lower mileage model???

I know the mileage isn't much for a diesel but the petrol equivalents are a lot more money/rarer.

Thanks

I ran a B7 and then B8 3.0tdi auto estates. I found the B8 much bigger than the B7 but rode/handled much better if slightly less dynamic. In either case the V6 diesel is immense and a great combo with the auto and the later car has better economy as well. However any used car is going to pickup faults eventually and a 3.0TDI is going to be more expensive to fix.

Here is a working link to the car http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201409157426440

Looks very nice, A lot of car for 10K. The 3.0 engine doesn't really have any major issues unlike some other engine choices you could make.
No issues with the gearbox they are rock solid, low mileage on diesels isn't the best due to DPF issues but I found my 3.0 TDI fine when I had the DPF on and I don't do that many miles, It's closely coupled to the engine and gets pretty hot even ehen not being worked hard so there aren't many issues with them.
Great cars when mapped will go to around 290-300 bhp. The B8 has more room in the back than the B7. Doing only low mileage the depreciation will be quite low as in 3 years time you will only have hit 150K.

Karl.

Reactions: V6 Quatt and scotty76
I don't know but in my mind I always associate a 3.0 v6 diesel with the avant model. If it's got full audi service history, you'll have little to worry about. Maybe cambelt waterpump 350 at a good indy garage.

I got really put off by the seller. He was a 'bad mana' trader. Shame really but didn't trust him as soon as I spoke to him on the phone.

Ended up buying an A3 for the time being until I can sort out what I really want..

Yeah I've had that. Once the bad manners come across it's hard to go any further. I'll be others out there, Hang in there.

The 3.0 V6 TDI has no cambelt it's a chain driven cam that is supposed to be good for the life of the engine but realistically more like 200K miles,
It's an engine out job to change them as they are at the back of the engine and the parts are pretty expensive.
There is a belt on the front of the engine driving the pump but it's not expensive or difficult to change.
It wouldn't bother me what the trader was like on the phone. I would have gone and had a look at the car and decided looking at the car and talking to the guy in person.
At least your second choice was still an Audi.

Karl.

Reactions: V6 Quatt
Good point, thanks for the clarification. All's well ends well. In certain cultures if, if the get go isn't great, it's a sign of worse to come.

Btw how's the water pump changed on a v6 tdi

Pinched from another forum. Looking at the front of the engine the red outlined box on the top of the engine is the high pressure fuel pump drive, fuel pump sits in the centre of the engine V and is driven by a pulley on the end of the camshaft.
Coolant pump is the pink box and driven by the serpentine belt.
The thermostat is just to the left of the coolant pump .
This is the older design V6 engine but the newer one is pretty much the same.

V6Belts_1.jpg

Reactions: V6 Quatt