Poor MPG on 2000 a3 1.8t

lewis.bates.73

Reaction score
Hi I've literally just brought an a3 turbo and my first impressions are not good I filled it up yesterday with £60 worth of fuel bang on 50 litres until it clicked on the handle and today I've looked and I've done 157 miles and it says I've got 80 left in the tank?? My needle is between a quarter and half and I've not even put the fuel in 24 hours ago! When it was brimmed I reset everything and it said 220 miles until empty ??

My mods are a cone air filer and a dump valve straight through exhaust ment to have a remap but no proof and ment to have a upgraded turbo but no proof had it plugged in and no faults apart from intermittent boost control valve but boosts nice the driving I've done is going around town and a 50 miles round trip on the motorway

Any ideas please let me know where I might be doing something wrong or what I could check first thanks

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415483583513891

Clever idea ... But I ain't to be honest around town I don't take it over 3000RPM I tryed to keep off boost and the best mpg that I got was like 22MPG

maf spoiling your fuel/air mix ?

Voorhees do you recko I should just clean it or buy a new/ upgraded one? And will that effect it massively

I would do the cheap things first,clean the maf sensor just to see if any difference

Reactions: lewis.bates.73
Ok mate I will give that a try what's your mpg and mods mate on a full tank ?

i had terrible MPG when my intake pipe was split. Anywhere between the turbo and the maf will kill your mpg.

Reactions: voorhees
i had terrible MPG when my intake pipe was split. Anywhere between the turbo and the maf will kill your mpg.
Yes and pipes split will do that also :icon thumright:
Clips and pipes are getting on a bit so maybe they will give

Does your temp gauge get all the way to 90 and sit there? A dodgy thermostat or coolant temp sensor will affect mpg, but no way as badly as you're experiencing

My temp gauge will sit at 90 if the heaters inside the car are off! If they are on it sits around 70 or sometimes at the bottom

Will that make my mpg that bad because to be honest I can take it to my garage and strip it but I don't know what else I can do to the car I put a temp sensor on yesterday ( the green sensor) That made it abit better but it just winding me up how many miles I'm not getting

Nope I will try it in about 10 mins and let you know should I drive with it unplugged

Yeah a faulty thermostat will affect mpg. As your car runs rich until a certain temp, and a faulty thermostat will slow it getting there / prevent it from getting there

Right I've just looked at all visible pipes and what not without getting to involved I unplugged maf and it ran like ***** then it put traction control light on so put it back on it ran fine I've took some pictures and a video of what I have on there

What's this black box I unplugged it and idled fine then I took it around the block and the dump valve wasn't working good so I put that back on

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415527630993259

There is fluid on here like grease I don't know where it's from ? Is it from the DV?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415527714797200

Have this near the DV aswel

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415527768236957

This has been bodged together and it looks sucked it what's that pipe for ?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415527807137568

I've got a video of it running and showing the idle if you can tell if anything is up

Thanks for the help if anyone can shed any light

Looks like someone has installed a catch can and it's probably leaking. Something isn't standard there

****** hell lol what's the oil catch can do apart from the obvious lol!
And is it needed or only needed when something's been upgraded

I take that back there is no catch can, the video wouldn't load on my phone, but now I see the entire engine bay. Does the car idle rough at all when the maf is in?

I would get it smoke tested personally

Reactions: lewis.bates.73
Not really but when you look at the video when I move it around to the rev counter you'll see it flutter up and down a tad but that's all it does ? Don't think it's a bad thing but I'm just totally unsure

My car does the same thing, and ive replaced a fair few split pipes already. I'm thinking there is one I haven't found. I still get decent mpg though..

What milage do you get off a full tank and how often do you use it ?

The problem is that atmospheric dv that will cause rich running and rubbish running on anything other than an agu which your engine isn't so get a recirc valve to start with

I second getting it smoke tested, somethings not standard either. That looks like a vent to atmos dump valve and a pipe on the intake the the cam breather looks plugged?

I get 10l/100km which is 28mpg which doesn't sound good but I only drive short distances and I don't drive easy :p

Thanks lee I will see what I can get sorted I need to source one do you recommend any ? And do you know why I have like oil on the pipes near the dv

For a comparison my other car is on 17l/100km, so 10 is great for me

Is just get a standard one from tps/audi there good for 25-30 psi anyway split breathers possibly chap

Ive got the same car same year same mods other than the Map 1.8T - Im getting at best 17 to 22MPG thrashing it, Sunday driving im getting again at best 22 to 28MPG!

But looking through the post somebody has put a bit of hosepipe in there! doesn't look good!!

So miles do you get on a full tank ? And I know that hose pipe is not good is it

Ill be honest i haven't ever filled it up to the top, only half way and even then it says 120 miles then within a split second it will go to 85 then back to 110.

Id like to say its very inaccurate - wouldn't like to play petrol bingo with it when it hits the red on petrol.

Its fair to say i don't think the car is good on petrol but its only my toy!

Hope this helped a little!

That's fair enough mate well the only thing I'm comparing mine to is my mate has the same shape but the s3 and I've been with him on a run and around town and he gets around 350 miles to a full tank it's just one of them things