Camshaft position sensor A malfunction

lewis.bates.73

Reaction score
Hi guys I swapped my Audi a3 diesel for a 1.8t a3 and I noticed there was no engine warning light when I turned the ignition on so I carried on with the swap and took it work today and plugged it in to see if it had any issues.
I got 3 codes

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415033646329475

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415033666144381

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415033676511485

It's had a cambelt and cam chain recently by the previous owner and to me runs all fine but as I've been browsing about these problems I've noticed that it sounds like a common problem with the timing?
It starts fine
It idles fine
Boost is ok I think (always had diesels)
There's no obvious noise that points to anything

It's a 1.8t AUM engine with 143000 miles

Could anyone shed any light on this

1. If the timing is out could it effect the boost?
2. Will it be ok to keep running it or should I strip it IMMEDIATELY
3. What about the faults with my coils could that be anything to do with the timing or do I just replace them?
4. Where is the engine warning light ment to be on here the picture of the dash is below

Thanks for you help guys so far not having much luck with it and I only swapped yesterday

This is my car by the way I'll post pictures now

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415034006172895

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415034016375140

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415034031225024

Hi Lewis,
I would try clearing the codes and going from there, if they come back on then there may be a problem, but I wouldnt say a major one.

First off cam position sensor is a common fault and secondly so is s****y wires for the engine loom, mainly to the coil packs due to pulling at them when changing them. Hope that helps

I've reset the lights and that and they come straight back on my car starts and runs fine as it should no miss fire now erratic idle il have a look them
Tomorrow but surly if my timing was out the car would be running rough and at most probably wouldn't start would it ?

Yeh it can be a tooth out and run seeminly fine, its usually due to the pin that holds the cams in place whilst changing the belt that compresses and put it a tooth out, thats why only v.a.g mechanics that know these engines should do a cam belt change.

Ok mate I rang the person who I had it off and he had the car a year and the previous owner he had it from done the belt and chain and he did 60 mile trip everyday to work and back and then drive 40 miles to me like it surly something would go wrong somewhere wouldn't it ?

Have seen a similar code when the cam to cam timing is out... I'd check that....

The engine is fairly tolerant of the cam belt being a tooth out and the chain being a link out but you should check both as its not uncommon for people to get this wrong if they are not aware of the issues..

The previous trips are largely irrelevant... the engine will still run with the timing a little out so no reason to suspect an issue... my engine ran 'fine' with bent exhaust valves and the crank pulley 'some degrees' out when I missed a gear and revved to over 10k rpm...

Get the cam cover off and check the can to cam timing... you can check belt alignment too as you will need to get everything to TDC to check

<tuffty/>

Thanks tuffty I will get that looked at what about these codes that I had came up to do with 3rd and 4th coil malfunction but there is no miss fire or anything like that could that be related to the timing ?

There you go lewis, I knew one of the knowledge gods would pay a visit lol

Yeah thanks a lot I knew someone would give me help just stuck on the coils because there isn't a misfire ?