Quick clutch pedal diagnosis

eightfour7two

Reaction score
Okay chaps,

Noticed over the last few weeks my gear changes being a little less than what they used to be (figured it was all in my head!), and find this morning that my clutch pedal sticks to the floor about half the time I press it in. Can recover it by pulling it back with my toe, but that solution only lasts 1 or 2 more depressions.

So I manage to limp it back to my house and notice its dripping fluid from under the bonnet on the drivers side.

I guess my question is; is this the slave cylinder at fault? Or something less eyewateringly expensive!

The slave cylinder is on the passenger side I guess on the gearbox. It might be a leak from master cylinder if in the drivers side. Any difference with the brakes?

The slave cylinder is on the passenger side I guess on the gearbox. It might be a leak from master cylinder if in the drivers side. Any difference with the brakes?
Brakes feel fine. Don't feel spongey or anything like that.

Had this 2 days ago. If you hold the pedal down whilst in gear does the biting point get closer to the floor the longer you hold it down? We had a leaky o ring on the pipe coming from the pedal. It would eventually run away with us. So test in a large safe area. How's your brake fluid level?

Had this 2 days ago. If you hold the pedal down whilst in gear does the biting point get closer to the floor the longer you hold it down? We had a leaky o ring on the pipe coming from the pedal. It would eventually run away with us. So test in a large safe area. How's your brake fluid level?
Just attempted to try this, it won't even go into gear with the pedal all the way down now! The amount of fluid leaking has gone up, although the level in the reservoir doesn't seem low

Where the reservoir is the brake master cylinder is attached below. There is a rubber hose coming off the reservoir that goes to the clutch pedal about 4 inches long. If the level drops below this you won't have any clutch. Below that should be a 90 degree plastic angle that then goes into solid pipe and across to the gearbox. Ours was leaking at that joint where the pipe goes in. We had to get a new o ring for the end of that pipe.

Where the reservoir is the brake master cylinder is attached below. There is a rubber hose coming off the reservoir that goes to the clutch pedal about 4 inches long. If the level drops below this you won't have any clutch. Below that should be a 90 degree plastic angle that then goes into solid pipe and across to the gearbox. Ours was leaking at that joint where the pipe goes in. We had to get a new o ring for the end of that pipe.
The level definitely isn't that low. It's probably 3-4cm from the top of the reservoir. Might have to roll it 1/4 mile from the house and get the AA to tow me to a garage, way out of my league this stuff!

Yeah more like dead slave. Was just an easy one to look to see if it is leaking from there.

Figured I'd just post an update:

Turns out there was a crack in the master cylinder. £40 part, £30 labour and I'm back on the road! So glad it wasn't the slave!