Bilstein B12 Pro-kit or Sportline??

plasma

Reaction score
Hi guys,

AMD Tuning are doing an offer, purchase any Bilstein product from them and they will fit for free with alignment. I've looked around for the RRP price for both, the Bilstein B12 Prokit and Sportline and they seem to be in the range of £650-750, with a £50-100 difference between them.

I currently have the 8P Sportback 2.0 TDI with SE suspension. I find the handling diabolical; way too much understeer and bodyroll. My initial thoughts were to just fit on some Eibach loweing springs for £300 including alignment and fitting (by AMD tuning) but now this offer is on I'm wonderig whether its worth it?

Are Bilstein products good? Especially the B12 Prokit/Sportline?? As far as I'm aware the B12 comes with their own dampers too. Would it be really help with my handling/bodyroll situation ? Worth the price?

From my experience, Bilstein make some top quality product.

As for just fitting lowering springs, I think doing that on your standard shocks is not a good idea, as your shocks will be over compressed and make the ride more bouncy. You definitely want a kit that comes complete with shocks & springs, if not coilovers instead for superior handling and more adjustability.

From my experience, Bilstein make some top quality product.

As for just fitting lowering springs, I think doing that on your standard shocks is not a good idea, as your shocks will be over compressed and make the ride more bouncy. You definitely want a kit that comes complete with shocks & springs, if not coilovers instead for superior handling and more adjustability.

Thanks Double J. I should have added what my preferences are, I would prefer something slightly more on the comfort side as more than half of my driving is motorway mileage. Would the Bilstein Sportline be too harsh for motor driving or it doesn't really make a difference?

Do they have the bilstien coilovers in that offer? If so I'd go for them.

Failing that the b12 with sportlines would be what I'd go for, the pro kit doesn't drop it very much.

None of them will be harsh though

I was considering the Sportlines but at the same time I don't my car to look like a teenage lowered boy racer car. I just it to be lowered by just the right amount, maybe the same as the A3 Sport if not perhaps a few millimeterslower than that. Like I said, I currently have the SE suspension (it just looks too high, especially at the rear) and I ride on the stock 16 inch alloys with 205 width wheels.

I hope it will be okay to fit either the pro-kit or sportlines with my 16 inch wheels? I was considering upgrading to the 17 inch alloys with 225 diameter but I think this will take a hit on my fuel economy with the heaver alloys and tyres? I need mty car to be economical as possible.

I think B12 Pro kit is Eibach Pro springs with Bilstein B6 dampers and,

B12 Sportline kit is Eibach Sportline springs with Bilstein B8 dampers, is this correct ?

SE dampers will be too weak against a Eibach Pro spring but an oe Sport Bilstein B4 damper would.

B12 Sportline kit is Eibach Sportline springs with Bilstein B8 dampers, is this correct ?

SE dampers will be too weak against a Eibach Pro spring but an oe Sport Bilstein B4 damper would.

No, the B12 pro-kit and sportline kit both have the B12 damper which is apparently the short version and 25-30% uprated, whatever that means, I guess more stiff.

Sorry my bad, there isn't such thing as a stand alone B12 damper. So yeh I guess the b12 Sportline comes with the B8 damper. Not sure about the B12 Pro-kit though, think it should too include the B8 damper.

Considering my car is nearly a decade old now and coming up to 170k miles perhaps I would be better off sourcing a cheaper set of dampers and springs, maybe from Koni or H&R? Any thoughts on these? Second hand would be even better if in good condition obviously although a quick search on Gumtree and ebay suggests this will be very difficult to find. I live in the London area so if anyone is selling second hand please let me know.
Anyone know the approxiamate cost of fitting both dampers and springs with the full alignment? If it's anything more than £200 plus then only then would it be economically viable to go with the Bilstein from AMD tuning that offers free fitting and alignment.

Having some thought I would like to go for the cheapest option to improve handling and aesthectic looks on my vehicle. I can source some lowering springs (H&R) for around £70. Obviously these cannot go with my SE spec dampers. But I'm wondering whether the Sport trim variant have different dampers to mine? I know the spings on the Sport is around 20mm lower. If they are not the same, maybe it would be most cost effective if I can source all 4 Sport trim OEM springs plus dampers for second hand and get it fitted and aligned. What's my best option guys?

Cheapest - 2nd hand Sport suspension , cons- availability , worn shocks.

Midway - 2nd hand Sports springs with new oe Sport Bilstein B4 dampers.

Proper job - Eibach Pro Kit springs with oe Sport Bilstein B4 dampers.

I have a b12 sportline kit on my a3 1.9 tdi se 3 door handles so much better than before no body roll not to low just sits a few mm lower a standard s3 so won't look like boy racer .

Not definitive but having a dig it seems that B12 Pro kits have B6 & B8 shocks, an unboxing vid in America had front B6 with B8 rears.

B12 Sportline are mainly B8.

The b12 sportline kit does come with b8 dampers its a good idea to change front top mounts and bearings and rear mounts when getting the kit put on

OP, I have the Sportline springs for sale in the classified section...there's a link to ebay. PM me if you have any questions. Only asking for £120, they are brand new.